How can I fix the migration error "Content is not allowed in prolog"

Fabian Schmitz December 22, 2022

Hello everyone,

I'm currently testing the migration from Confluence Server to Cloud. We have around 50 Spaces. During the migration about 50% of the spaces fail with the message: "Import to cloud failed. Message: "<GUID>-db.xml" (Line 1): Content is not allowed in prolog." 

ConfluenceMigrationIssue.jpg

Searching about the issue I found out, that the header of the xml file is not in the correct format. But I could not find any Confluence specific results via Google or here.

I could not find the files mentioned on the server or in the database.

I checked with spaces that worked fine, but could not see a difference in the configuration. It also doesn't matter if the space is empty, has only a few documents or has lots of documents. The issue comes up for regardless of Key, Name or Size of the Space.

The server log is also not very helpful, as the only message that shows up there is the error itself. Neither the logs before or after that line give any indication on what produces the problem.

The question I have now is: How do I fix these issues or the header of the xml file?

As a bonus question: How do I find out what causes the "Step failed with an unknown reason"?

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Fabian Schmitz January 2, 2023

There seems to be an issue with the Cloud Migration Tool.

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/MIG-1250

After running the migration multiple times, all Spaces got migrated successfully. I got the error for around 50% of Spaces that I tried to migrate each time.

Until the Migration Tool is fixed you can work around this issue by either

• Running the migration multiple times and only selecting the spaces that failed migration in the last run or
  • export the spaces in the server instance and importing them in the cloud instance manually
0 votes
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 22, 2022

Hello @Fabian Schmitz 

Welcome to the Atlassian community.

Have you already opened a case with Atlassian Support to get support with your migration? Migration is one of the categories available when opening a support case.

https://support.atlassian.com/contact/#/

Fabian Schmitz December 24, 2022

Hello @Trudy Claspill ,

as our support subscription expired quite some time ago, I didn't even think about opening a support ticket. I will do that now and see what comes from that.

Thank you for the tip.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events