How can I find unused attachments?

mybucket2018 January 23, 2020

We can have a page on our Confluence environment which has over 30 images and PDF attachments. 10 of those for example might no be shown on the page any more because they have replaced with a file using a different name.

How can we locate all unused attachments? Is there a select SQL we can execute which can help us find this out?

Our site storage is forever increasing. Having a list of all the redundant files will allow us to clear some space.

3 answers

0 votes
Robert Hellmann October 6, 2021

I just created a SQL statement for Oracle. It returns the file size and whether the attachment title is found in bodycontent clob field (the real content).

select 
c.contentid,
c.title,
c.lastmoddate,
c.pageid,
round(cp.longval / 1024 / 1024, 1) as "size MB",
(case
when DBMS_LOB.INSTR(b.body, c.title) > 0 then
'true'
ELSE
'false'
end) "found in page"
from content c
join spaces s
on s.spaceid = c.spaceid
JOIN Contentproperties cp
on cp.contentid = c.contentid
join bodycontent b
on b.contentid = c.pageid
where lower(s.spacekey) = 'amerisc'
and lower(c.contenttype) = 'attachment'
and cp.propertyname = 'FILESIZE'
order by c.pageid, c.title
0 votes
AlutusTech June 1, 2020

We have created this plugin which scans the Confluence database to identify unused attachments:
https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/1216349/confluentis-unused-attachments?hosting=server&tab=overview

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 23, 2020

Confluence doesn't track if something is used or not, unless you install and configure one of the apps that tracks views.  I have a feeling there is only one that tracks attachment "view" (I use quotes because preview, view-in-place and download are all tracked as the same thing)

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events