How can I escape curly braces within {code} tags?

I was trying to show someone how to use the {code} tag in a comment in Crucible. I want to wrap my example in code tags, but have the literal "{code}" show up in the example.

Hey girl, I heard you like putting code in your comments.

{code}
\{code\}
// Your code goes here.
\{code\}
{code}

And this is how it came out:

\{code\}
    // Your code goes here.
    \{code\}

How can I enter the comment so that it appears like this?

{code}
    // Your code goes here.
    {code}

9 answers

You can use HTML escape characters to do the curly braces: 

{ = {

} = }

Example: {{{your text here}}}

Doesn't work in {code} tags.

Jason, you are right, it does not work with {code} tags. It does work for the problem that Patrick was having: Hey girl, I heard you like putting code in your comments. {code} // Your code goes here. {code} As far as I know, in {code} tags there is no need to escape curly braces. You might need to put the actual tag in it's own line: {code} { "Name": "Somename" "Lastname": "Somelastname" } {code}

This solution works if you don't mind your text being bold:

example 1:

{foo}

1. type the "*" character
  2. type the "{" character
  3. type your text
  4. type the "*" character twice. This effectively ends a bold run and starts another bold run.
  5. type the "}" character.
  6. type the "*" character to end the bolding.

example 2:

{{code}}

1. type the "*" character
  2. type the "{" character twice
  3. type your text
  4. type the "}" character.
  5. type the "*" character twice. This effectively ends a bold run and starts another bold run.
  6. type the "}" character.
  7. type the "*" character to end the bolding.

This absolutely works and was the only way I could enter the regex "[- 0-9_\p{Ll}\p{Lu}\p{Lt}]" into a JIRA comment ... though in raw it does look like this: *"[- 0-9_\p**{**Ll**}**\p**{**Lu**}**\p**{**Lt**}**\]"*

Sigh. I can't figure out how to enter code in the question so it doesn't create several disjointed code blocks.

You guys, this would be so much easier if you just got rid of these proprietary markup languages and switched to Markdown.

Hi,

In order to escape it, you can do this:

1- {

2- }

3- Then place the cursor in the middle of {} and type

Hope this works.

Thanks. That doesn't work.

Can you please get a backslash to escape a close-curly-brace inside a code-section?

Amen to that.

With underscores, one can backslash an underscore mid-underline-section to get a literal underline there.  With double curly braces around code, one cannot backslash a close-curly-brace mid-code-section to get a literal close-curly-brace there.

Example without proper escaping:

{{my_dict = {}}}    renders as    my_dict = {}

Example attempting to use a backslash to escape the close-curly-brace (which doesn't work):

{{my_dict = {\}}}  renders as     my_dict = {}

Is there a sane alternative that works in this case?

I'm not seeing one in the other answers to this question.  The double-star trick mentioned in another answer does not work in the case of code sections (delineated with double curly braces).

The trick I have found to work is to close the curly brace section early, then put the single close-curly-brace in its own code section.  Thus, the workaround to get one close-curly-brace in your code section is the mind-numbing sequence of:

}}{{}}}

That'll put a close curly brace at the end of a code section.  You'll need to reopen the code-section with a {{ after all of that if you're not yet at the end of your code section.

Example of the functioning workaround:

{{my_dict = }}{{}}}     renders as      my_dict = {}

There really needs to be a better way.

Another vote for switching to Markdown!  It shouldn't take half an hour to find a way to get a close-curly-brace in a code section.  Backspace escaping should work for code sections like it does for underscores in underline sections.  The JIRA markup language is as inconsistent as it is buggy.

You could try doubling the curly braces. So, you type "{{" and "}}" instead of "{" and "}".

I am not sure if that will work in Crucible, but I know it works on JIRA comments and descriptions.

Suggest an answer

Atlassian Community Anniversary

Happy Anniversary, Atlassian Community!

This community is celebrating its one-year anniversary and Atlassian co-founder Mike Cannon-Brookes has all the feels.

Read more
Community showcase
Kesha Thillainayagam
Posted Apr 13, 2018 in Confluence

We want to hear how your non-technical teams are using Confluence!

Hi Community! Kesha (kay-sha) from the Confluence marketing team here! Can you share stories with us on how your non-technical (think Marketing, Sales, HR, legal, etc.) teams are using Confluen...

370 views 20 10
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you