Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I enable codes for creating a table?

Alex Beamish December 20, 2021

I have a 52 row table that I want to cut and paste into a wiki page, but the format that I'm expecting to work:

|| heading1 || heading2 ||

| data | other data |

| 51 more rows | more data |

doesn't create a table. I just get the raw characters that I've entered. Is this something that needs to be enabled for our installation?

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Brant Schroeder
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 20, 2021

@Alex Beamish Welcome to the Atlassian Community

The new Confluence editor doesn’t support table markdown unfortunately.  It also doesn’t support markup. If you look at the roadmap there is a feature request for the wiki markup macro.  I would suggest voting for it. Learn more about the new editor roadmap.  So if you are using the new editor, which most people are, you will not have the markup macro available and tables do not work in markdown.  

Alex Beamish December 21, 2021

Well, I'm disappointed that the new editor doesn't support tables. I have to insert a new support schedule for the next year, which means I'm going to be copy and pasting 52 rows times two columns. That's far from ideal.

The link to the feature I'm talking about is https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/CONFCLOUD-65756 for those following along at home.

So, the good news is that I can still create a table in the new wiki that has the same number of columns as the table in the old wiki, and then I can copy and paste the data into the new table. That's a great workaround until markup's available in the new wiki, and this tip should be included in the documentation.

Like Alexey Matveev likes this
0 votes
Fabian Lim
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 20, 2021

Hi @Alex Beamish

Welcome to the community!

You need to use the markup macro.  Instructions: https://support.atlassian.com/confluence-cloud/docs/insert-confluence-wiki-markup/

Regards

Thanks for the suggestion. As noted above, the version of the wiki that I'm using doesn't have this feature (that we had in the old wiki).

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events