How can I embed a Trello board in Confluence?

Phil Rzewski January 19, 2017

We've been a user of Trello for some time, and recently started an eval of Confluence for cloud and very likely will become a customer of it. One of my employees asked if it's possible to embed our Trello boards in Confluence pages for easy reference. I see this is possible with JIRA boards (https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/CONF-36612) and I also know it's possible to import Trello into JIRA, but that seems a heavy & roundabout way to get what we want. Is there, or is there planned, a way to embed Trello boards directly into Confluence? Given how recently Atlassian announced their acquisition of Trello, I'm guessing the answer is "not yet... maybe someday", but I figured I'd check, & maybe someone from Atlassian will see this as a +1 for a feature request.

5 answers

1 accepted

4 votes
Answer accepted
Chadd Bennett February 8, 2017

Hi Phil, 

Not ideal for less-technical users, but after trying a number of macros, including include-html and widgets, I got my boards to (finally) work clunkily by the basic HTML macro. 

Steps:

1. Whitelisted https://trello* in the admin panel and their CDN listed here http://help.trello.com/article/771-loading-resources-from-trellos-cdn
  2. Added the regular HTML macro and manually created an iframe with 100% width and opted for 800px height
  3. Used a modified public Trello board URL – I don't think this will work for non-public boards. 
    1. Trimmed off the board name down to the alphanumeric string
    2. Appended .html – there are other Trello url parameters here: http://jsfiddle.net/danlec/hmQJP/

To: <iframe src="https://trello.com/b/a1b2c3.html" frameBorder="0" width="100%" height="800"></iframe>

image2017-2-8 14:56:8.png

I'm hoping Atlassian's pending purchase of Trello means better integration down the road!

CB
Capi [resolution]
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
March 20, 2019

eFfmdb3.jpg

Like # people like this
3 votes
philoye
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 18, 2017

We have released support for embedded boards and cards in Confluence Cloud. Learn more.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 18, 2017

Yay!

Albert Schweitzer Stiftung October 31, 2017

@philoye, this is for Confluence Cloud only, isn't it? Are there any plans for supporting Trello embeds in Confluence Server?

Is there a workaround we can use right now (the suggestion above doesn't seem to be working)? 

Like # people like this
Jenny
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 31, 2017

Hi Mahi,

I'm afraid we don't have any confirmed plans for supporting this functionality in Server at the moment. It is very much on our radar though.

Best,

Jenny

Like Sterling_Pierce likes this
Alex Wafula November 21, 2017

@Phil Rzewskidoes this work for private boards?

Phil Rzewski November 21, 2017

@Alex Wafula I think your question was directed at @philoye.

philoye
Atlassian Team
November 22, 2017

@Alex Wafula Yes, this works for private boards. If the viewer can see the board in Trello, they can see the embedded board in Confluence.

Bodavo November 23, 2017

@philoye We would also love to see this functionality in Confluence Server!

Like # people like this
Mick Davidson
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 8, 2018

Why are we waiting for this in Server - when is this going to be released? How about making it work in both Server and Cloud before carrying out yet more improvements for Cloud? 

Like # people like this
Jenny
Atlassian Team
January 30, 2018

@Mick Davidson - sorry for the delayed reply.

Due to Server and Cloud having different customer sets with differing needs, we often prioritise features differently across the two products. For more information, please take a read of our blog post.

To stay updated on Trello boards in Confluence, please watch the related feature suggestion.

Rademeyer Vermaak February 5, 2018

@philoye@Jenny - I'm just starting to get my head around Confluence, and it is incredible! I have a question about the Trello integration - I've added the Trello AddOn, but it would seem the content of my Trello board (embedded) is not searchable from Confluence. Please advise? 

philoye
Atlassian Team
February 15, 2018

@Rademeyer Vermaak That's correct, I'm sorry to say. We do not have any near term plans to address this.

Tom Crespi
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 19, 2018

Pretty standard recommendation - i.e. if you're often participating in the Atlassian Community this is old news - but for anyone new to things here... to add to @Jenny's suggestion above to watch the related feature suggestion, if so inclined please vote for it as well, and even add a comment if you have one.

Jonathan Smith
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 2, 2018

I thought some add-ons wouldn't be on Cloud, not the other way around :)

I would definitely like Trello to work with Confluence Server as well. +++

Like # people like this
Capi [resolution]
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
March 20, 2019

Like! Please get this to work! We do have some public Trello boards out there but the best way to document our actual work and share it with the org is embedding in Confluence. Will try the HTML workaround for now!

Like Jonathan Smith likes this
3 votes
James Dellow
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 19, 2017

There is an iframe macro, but I don't believe Trello supports being embedded using this approach for security reasons. This isn't specific to Confluence - iframes are a method for embedding one web page inside another.

For the moment you will need to wait for Atlassian or a 3rd-party developer to create this integration for you.

0 votes
Patrick Bär November 1, 2021

Hello Community, I have embedded a non-public board into a Confluence page. It shows the board not found message and a login button but the login button doesn't do anything. If I change the board to public I can at least see it but not change it. So it seems that somehow the authentication is not working even though I am using the same Atlassian account for Confluence as well as Trello. Any ideas how to fix this? Thanks in advance Patrick

0 votes

(Oops: No "delete comment" button)

Jonathan Smith
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 20, 2019

@Rademeyer Vermaak ,

We are all speechless when it comes to Trello not working with Confluence Server :)

- Jon

Like # people like this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events