How can I display the status of child pages in the children display macro

Dean Cloutier May 2, 2016

How do I include the status of a child page in the Children Display macro. I've tried adding the Status macro into an Excerpt macro for each child page and then setting the Excerpt display in the Children Display macro to 'Rich'.

This works - sort of... It places the child page status on a new line after the link to the child page. It turns a nice list of links into a messy mess.  I want the status to display inline.

Setting the inline parameter in the Excerpt macro only works on the page where the excerpt resides.

Help, please and thank you. 

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Dean Cloutier May 5, 2016

Thanks Robert,

I resorted to using the Page Properties macro; sorry I should have updated my post to reflect that I had a solution. It’s good that I didn’t update my post though, because I’m not happy with the way Page Properties macro renders the list in my solution. I didn’t know about the Display Table macro, and it looks like the list (in your post) is what I’m after.

Unfortunately, I don’t think my organisation is going to buy any add-ons until or unless I can demonstrate a need greater than the one I have with this issue.

I’ll keep projectdoc Toolbox product in mind; I may revisit it as we produce more documentation.

Thanks

-          Dean

Robert Reiner _smartics_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 5, 2016

Hi Dean,

thank you for your reply!

I'm happy that I had the chance to suggest an approach and it also helps me to understand the solution you have chosen.

Thanks for sharing!

Robert

0 votes
Robert Reiner _smartics_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 5, 2016

I do not know if I understand your use case correctly. It seems to me that you want to list the names of child pages together with one additional property from that page. You do not write about the depth you try to render the children, so I assume 1 would do?

If these assumptions are correct, you maybe could try to use the Page Properties Macro and Page Properties Report Macro (and reference the parent like given in a comment of https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/18450442).

Or you could use the Display Table Macro from the commercial projectdoc Toolbox (I'm one of the authors of this add-on) if you use Confluence on premise. The status has to be defined as a property of the Document Properties Marker Macro (similar in use as the Page Properties Macro). The result of the query on the children could be rendered as list

image2016-5-5 12:20:14.png

or table (with or without heading)

image2016-5-5 12:20:35.png

or as definition list (with CSS applied)

image2016-5-5 12:28:18.png

showing the name of the child pages and their status.

But this assumes that you do not need to render children in depths greater than 1.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events