Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I display the current workflow for a ticket type in Confluence

Martin Gregory July 4, 2017

Title says it all: I need to link to the current workflow, so the confluence page does not go out of date...

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 5, 2017

Could you clarify how you're doing this "workflow" in Confluence?  Add-on?  If so, which one?  Or is it linked to another system doing workflows (like JIRA)?

Martin Gregory July 9, 2017

Sorry - missing critical information: I need to display the current workflow for a Jira ticket type.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 9, 2017

There's no native function to do that in Confluence.  I think you'd have to write a user macro of some sort to pull out the diagram from JIRA into a frame or something.

How crazy is that?    Confluence is the documentation partner to Jira, and you can't say "here is the work flow for stories" and talk about it in context!?

Like Damian Egli likes this
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 9, 2017

You could ask the user to visit the issue and look, but I'd suspect there's a couple of other problems. 

First, why do you need to explain the workflow?  That tends to mean it may well be quite complex and hence not that good a process.

Second, if you draw in a workflow diagram and explain it, that's fine, but when it changes, your diagram could easily stop matching the document.  It would be better to take a static snapshot and explain that in detail, and then when there are changes, your users will be able to see that there is a mismatch instantly.

I don't need to justify the workflow.    When a feature is missing, it's quite common to attack the requestor of the feature as having a not good process.

It would seem quite reasonable for a company to ask to have it's process documented.   That is certainly what is driving this conversation.

The suggestion that a snapshot captured in the page along with the explanation of the flow creates the exact problem it tries to avoid.  If the picture is "live" then the users can see that it mismatches immediately.   If there is a snapshot in Confluence, then the users can read all about the process only to find the mismatch later.

Note: a link to the workflow diagram in Jira would suffice: it doesn't have to be an actual embedded display of the workflow.

Thanks.

Like # people like this
Matt Long November 6, 2019

Anyone created their own solution to this problem? 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events