How can I create a new Confluence Space using REST API?

stanislav_parkhomenko April 11, 2017

Hi,

I'm building a jira plugin which should create a confluence space.

1. The example in docs POST request of /rest/api/space is working fine, but it adds a standard content on the homepage body, which needs to be customized.

I tried something like:

{"key":"T14",
"name":"Test 14",
"homepage":{"body":{"storage":{"value":"<p>This is the updated text for the new page</p>","representation":"storage"}}},
"metadata":{}}

...but it doesn't work. It does not add my content into the homepage.

2. The other issue is similar to this. I want to generate a space with some pages using the zipped xml file, which I exported from confluence. There was RPC API in 5.5 version of confluence:

boolean importSpace(String token, byte[] zippedImportData) - import a space into Confluence.

According to docs it has been deprecated and I wonder if it is possible to upload zip archive of the confluence space using the new rest api. 

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Pavel Potcheptsov
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 14, 2017

I'd suggest you to make extra call (or just parse output after POST that creates space) to new space that you've just created and identify ID of Home page and then Update content of that page with your custom value. Don't forget to increase version number).

To be able to create child pages in space you need to use ID of Home page as ancestor and prepage storage format of your pages. Then combine it together in json and POST.

stanislav_parkhomenko April 17, 2017

Thank you, Pavel, great explanation

It worked by identifying an id of the home page from the request and then using api/content/{contentId} rest with PUT request

The ancestor field worked as expected as well

Pavel Potcheptsov
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 18, 2017

No problem, I'm glad that it works for you.

0 votes
Ana Retamal
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 13, 2017

Hi Stanislav,

For questions like this one I recommend you to go to our Developer Community. There you'll find developers, product experts and vendors that will be able to help you with your question :)

Cheers!

Ana

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events