Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I create a Confluence table that has vertical headings using the JIRA Issue/Filter macro?

Lynne Easterbrook August 10, 2017

Our group uses Confluence pages to create test documentation. We create tables using the JIRA Issue/Filter macro to pull JIRA issues into Confluence. We need to have the table column headings in Confluence run vertically versus horizontally.

3 answers

0 votes
Lynne Easterbrook August 18, 2017

Hi Shannon,

The developers suggested checking out an add-in application called "Table Filters and Charts."  I contacted the developers of that application and learned that it cannot reorient a Confluence macro-created table at this time.

I hope if more users need this feature that Confluence will consider develping a way to make it happen.

Thank you again for your suggestions and support!

Lynne

Shannon S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 21, 2017

No worries, Lynne! Thank you for your response and take care!

Kind Regards,
Shannon

0 votes
Shannon S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 14, 2017

Hi Lynne,

In Confluence, you should be able to select a heading row:

Screen Shot 2017-08-14 at 1.08.30 PM.jpgYou would find this option after creating the table. Are my examples what you're attempting to do?

Kind Regards,
Shannon

Lynne Easterbrook August 14, 2017

Hi Shannon,

Thank you for taking the time to paste in a screen shot. Unfortunately, the header row feature in Confluence only works for tables created directly in Confluence. We are using the JIRA Issues/Filter macro to enter JIRA tickets in a tabular format in a Confuence page. The header row buttons do not work for those tables.

I tried pasting a Word table into a Confluence page but the header row feature would not change it, either. 

I will write to the developers to see if they know if this can be done or not.

Best wishes!

Lynne

Shannon S
Atlassian Team
August 15, 2017

Lynne,

Sorry about that! I've created a feature request here:

When you write to the developers, if they let you know a way to modify it directly in the code, please feel free to post your answer here and on the feature request, so if other users would like the same feature, they can see how to work around the issue.

Thank you!

Kind Regards,
Shannon

0 votes
Shannon S
Atlassian Team
August 11, 2017

Hi Lynne,

Are you referring to the look of the headings on this example? In that article, it explains how you can create a user macro in confluence with vertical headings. You could try placing your JIRA Issues macro inside a user macro like that or alter the CSS completely, and you may be able to get the result you require.

Let us know if you have any trouble.

Kind Regards,
Shannon

Lynne Easterbrook August 11, 2017

Hi Shannon,

Thanks! That example shows how to align the words inside the column heading.

Instead, we need to "flip" the table structure so that the column headings run vertically down the page instead of across, so that the populated table cells below each heading appear to the right of the heading column, not below it.

Like this:

Heading -> Populated cell

Instead of this:

Heading   

Populated cell

I sure hope someone has figured this out because it is taking us a lot of extra time to do it manually after we export from Confluence to MS Word. We use Scroll office for the export, and we still have to copy the exported table, put it in MS Excel to transpose (flip) the orientation, then embed the Excel file in the Word document in order to use the table as a test script.

Thanks again,

Lynne

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events