How can I control leading (the amount of vertical space between lines of text)?

Debra Graham September 12, 2018

For example, I want to change the leading for text formatted as Heading 2.  I want more space above the heading and less space following it.  In Word, I would modify the Spacing attributes for the Heading 2 paragraph style (see below).  How do I do that in Confluence?  Can I redefine the attributes of the default Heading 2 style?  Similarly, how would I change the default color of the Heading 2 style?

I think that the answer is going to be that I need to edit the CSS stylesheet but I'm asking just to see if there is an alternative as I have little experience with CSS.  

Spacing.png

2 answers

1 vote
Bill Bailey
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 13, 2018

I am assuming you are wanting to make this change site/space wide. If so, the easiest, cheapest and most effective  way to accomplish this is to edit the CSS stylesheet. This is something I do every time I set up a new Confluence server, to a) fix annoying issues and b) to have Confluence conform more to the clients branding requirements.

There are plenty of resources out there regarding CSS, and if you really are anal about how text is styled in Confluence (like me, coming from FrameMaker), you need to learn this skill (plus how to inspect elements within a browser).

Here is good place to start:

https://www.w3schools.com/Css/

Have fun!

Debra Graham September 17, 2018

Thanks for your response Bill.  Not sure how widely we want to make changes.  Investigating what we want for technical documentation, sales and marketing, and technical briefs.  Our company isn't large but different groups have stakes in the Confluence site.  :)   

I also have a FrameMaker background but it is my belief that professional writing should have a polished appearance.  I am surprised how difficult Confluence makes it--Confluence seems to be more about enabling internal collaboration than external presentation.  My company would like to use it for both.

Bill Bailey
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 18, 2018

Yeah, it is a compromise, but I find that the speed of creating documentation because of the collaboration far outweighs presentation.

Now for PDF, we went to Scroll PDF (version 3.x), because at least I could get about 90% of what I could with FrameMaker. It took some work, user macros, and custom CSS, but it is good enough.

For online you can do a lot with styling. Here is an example based on 5.x of Confluence and custom CSS.

http://confluence.marketcomllc.com/display/PUBLIC/Documentation+Example

0 votes
Bill Rudy September 12, 2018

You don't.  At least I'm not aware of such options...if someone knows of one, I welcome the correction.  Keep in mind this is a wiki, not a word processor.  :)  The focus is on content and collaboration/sharing of that content in a structured, organized way vs high-powered formatting.  There are tons of plugins around however, so you might try a search on those... 

Debra Graham September 12, 2018

My company uses Confluence for both an internal wiki (used by the developers--I work for a software company) and also for presenting end-user documentation, hence, the need for polished presentation.  I have been researching various plugins but not found one yet that lets me "redefine" the styles w/o resorting to adding our own CSS stylesheet.

Like Francesco likes this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events