Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I change the width of a table?

Stuart McMullin December 17, 2020

As the title suggests, I have a table I'd like to shrink down with the end goal of having multiple tables side by side. How can I do this? Thanks!

12 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Geoff Mether _Togetha Group_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 18, 2020

Hi @Stuart McMullin 

I thought a video of layouts and tables - might be useful. Video Link

You could try using a combination of layouts and tables - to get them side by side.  

Good luck!

G

Deleted user May 26, 2022

This seems like a massively convoluted "workaround" for a simple function used in documentation universally.

Like # people like this
Jonathan Le August 18, 2022

This is what I did too, but I didn't see this video until I posted the same answer.

Like Amin Syed likes this
Marc May 24, 2023

This worked for me, but it's not very intuitive to be honest. Even myself with programming skills, find unreasonable having to define the layout first to then paste a table inside. And I can understand all people angry in this thread. Probably many of them not being technical. There should be some way to e.g. move from a table into a table within an X-column layout, or have some help message in the table options to tell you how to do this

15 votes
Dave Coop May 3, 2022

Will Atlassian please replace the Product Manager of Confluence with a competent human being and address stupid bugs, sorry "features" like this?

datecnl June 17, 2022

Agreed, this is really silly

It seems a bug. The last column boundary can be selected, the correct cursor appears, but dragging it does not do anything.

Like # people like this
Dave Coop June 17, 2022

18 months, 9506 views and still we receive ignorance from Atlassian. 

Like # people like this
Tomáš Petržilka August 5, 2022

I created another question regarding changing last column width itself

see> How to change width of last table column?

the question here has mixed description (asking about multiple tables next to each other)

Like # people like this
Jeffrey Ng May 10, 2023

agreed, this is absolutely non-sense.

SEONed (Dan Nedelko)
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
November 30, 2023

And hey this is why Notion is a thing, although the new editor is much I do have to work in on premise instances and it's painful.

11 votes
Nezam Jinnah
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
November 9, 2023

There's an invisible "bar" beside the table you need to hover your mouse over. Then click + drag to re-size the width of the table. You should see, "resize table" appear if you mouse is in the right place. 

It took me a while to find it so sharing to help anyone else having the same issue. Hope that helps someone.
image.png

Josef Micka November 10, 2023

So they finally added this back "somewhat", it has two big issues tho'

1) table is centered, it doesn't follow paragraph alignment and there seems to be no way to change it

2) table cannot be wider that viewport, which is bad, because it limits you what you can put there, for example you put comments or url in last column, but since you can't extend table past viewport, it will instead create tall rows to fit all text

so it's here finally, but it's not, and it's better to stick to old editor with proper table support.

Like Fiona McKinnon likes this
2 votes
Jonathan Le August 18, 2022

This really got to me too, because I just wanted a small table to hold a legend.  

I ended up doing a 3 column layout page row and putting the table in there.  Works fine, though a little clunky.

SCR-20220818-mug.png

2 votes
Dick de Goede March 14, 2022

Hi @Stuart McMullin ,
In the new interface there is no way to do this from within the table anymore, you can only adjust individual column widths.
However you can use sections to achieve this:

• Under Insert choose Layouts and add a section (choose the layout you want)
  • Just add the table to the left or right section column and change the section column width.
Gregor Heinrich March 22, 2022

So I need tricky workarounds (layouts or macros) to perform a basic formatting action?

Can't we just agree this direction of Confluence "experience" is not in everyone's interest? Especially compared to a fully functional "old" editor that was left by the roadside 5+ years ago and whose (basic) functionality isn't matched until this day.

Many users in my company seem to be too far away from Atlassian's priorities and design choices. When people start using different "shadow" tools instead of Confluence, alarm bells are ringing.

Sorry for being candid.

Like # people like this
datecnl June 17, 2022

Accept you can't change the last column width.

Like # people like this
Gil Goodridge July 14, 2022

Thanks for this work around... worked perfectly for me.

Rob Randell March 7, 2023

I just spend a while looking for this. Then searched and found this thread. Only then did I notice I'd already liked some of these comments, because my brain just can't compute that this might be a problem. It is very much the thing that makes me think about moving to Notion or something else. We're a small company, so this won't hurt Atlassian too much, but if I move to Notion, I'd also check my choice of Jira + BitBucket

Like Erik Anderson likes this
2 votes
Katerina Kovriga {Stiltsoft}
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 17, 2020

Hi @Stuart McMullin ,

If you have the Table Filter and Charts for Confluence app installed for your instance, you may try the Table Transformer macro and its changing column width feature.

Here is an example with screenshots.

1 vote
Jason December 31, 2022

This is so damn stupid design and they seem to be so proud of it

1 vote
Peter Stewart November 29, 2022

This was driving me crazy and it is not intuitive, but Distribute Columns is the way to do it, this essentially is 'fit columns to contents'

Screenshot 2022-11-29 162547.png

Josef Micka November 30, 2022

it doesn't solve problem with long texts and tables, that needs to be longer than your current viewport. fixed width (idealy in em) is way to go, but we can't do that in cloud version.

Peter Stewart November 30, 2022

Yeah I figured it might help someone though if they just had the issue where someone had accidentally dragged the last column too wide and then couldn't get it back again, this is such a pain.

1 vote
Ollie Guan
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 17, 2020

Hi @Stuart McMullin ,

To resize table columns, just click and drag the column's border. To make other changes to your table, click inside it to reveal the table toolbar.

Column width modes

• Responsive – choose this mode if you want the table to expand as you add content. You can drag to resize the columns. It'll also resize itself to fit the page-viewer's window size (within reason).
  • Fixed width – choose this mode if you want to drag column borders to set width. Columns appear at your set size, regardless of content and window size.

https://confluence.atlassian.com/doc/tables-136463.html

Josef Micka July 1, 2022

when will Confluence Cloud get Fixed width mode for columns? there is no such thing available in editor.

Like # people like this
sqning January 11, 2023

in https://confluence.atlassian.com/doc/tables-136463.html described how to set fixed width mode as @Ollie Guan mentioned. it works for me.

Like Ollie Guan likes this
Josef Micka January 11, 2023

please don't confuse onprem and cloud installation of confluence.

fixed tables are supported and work in onpremise/datacenter edition, but cloud edition is missing this functionality since atlassian forced all users to new editor.

Andy Hockey January 20, 2023

I try to use confluence as little as possible, and every time I do I find an obvious bug. I have had to use it today and it took less than 10 minutes to run into an issue with table widths that make my work more difficult. Confluence Cloud is truly an awful product. But it's what my company wants me to use. 

Bugs go on for years.

0 votes
Markus Ganauser January 26, 2023

Add another column at the end of the table, adjust the width of all the other columns and then delete the last column again. Strange workaround, but worked for me.

0 votes
David Saada October 17, 2022

I can add here that I have the same issue, which I managed to workaround to some extent.

However, this has become moot due to the fact that zooming into the doc and back out clobbers my column resizing to the default one used by confluence. As a result, all columns went back to their previous sizes and last columns for all tables I have grew past the frame view.

This is real lame.

0 votes

Hi Ollie,

Thanks for the response. I've seen that documentation. Simply put, I still don't see what you're talking about.

I don't have the options for responsive or fixed. Is there a place I can see this in action? 

I must have this in "fixed" as whenever I try to move the column width it doesn't move. 

Screen Shot 2020-12-17 at 7.19.41 PM.png

This appears to be the only option close to responsive vs fixed. 

Ollie Guan
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 17, 2020

Hi @Stuart McMullin ,

It seems that your instance has enabled the new editor.

Convert pages to the new editor

How to revert to legacy editor

Stuart McMullin December 18, 2020

@Ollie Guan Thanks for the help. It appears I have the new editor. Honestly, this shouldn't take an act of God to change the width of a table? 

I have to install a macro to change the width of a table? 

Like # people like this
Laura Minniear March 12, 2021

I am having the same issue - I am adding a table with two columns, both with very short content, and would like the width of the table as a whole to reflect that, rather than stretching across the whole page, difficult to read. I can resize columns, but not the table as a whole. This is basic table formatting functionality available in every software application I've ever used - it should be not only possible, but easy/intuitive.

Atlassian - Please let us know what is being done to address this. I am not interested in complex layouts or plug-ins to accomplish something so basic.

Like # people like this
Mark April 8, 2021

Agreed! I am having the same issue and it's quite frustrating.  A simple fixed width table shouldn't be so difficult to create! 

Yama Wardak October 13, 2021

how frustrating is this, i bet a new kid will ipo something that is trivial not waste of time like this!

Like # people like this
José Guilherme Dias Teixeira September 20, 2022

It's 2022 and you can't resize a table on Atlassian without buying a plug-in. Ludicrous

Like # people like this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events