How can I attach an Excel File to a Confluence page on creation?

Bill Tanner August 28, 2018

I have created a button on a Confluence page that users click, and then a new page is created with an embedded Excel file.  Users can then edit the Excel file, entering scores/evaluations.  The problem is that the original Excel file (in the template or source page) is updated when users save their changes.  Thus, I cannot reuse the original file.  I would like to keep the original "template" Excel file the same, and have a copy of it embedded in the new Confluence page created by clicking the button.  Is there a way to do this?  I cannot find a solution.

Thanks!

1 answer

0 votes
Shannon S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 30, 2018

Hi Bill,

Whenever you edit a document in Confluence it will overwrite the existing document. It does appear that there was a feature request for this briefly, but we have decided not to proceed with this as it hasn't gained a lot of traction:

You might be able to do this with an add-on from Marketplace, although I must admit that I'm not familiar with one that will do exactly this. It's worth reviewing the options above, however.

Let us know if you have any questions.

Regards,

Shannon

Bill Tanner August 30, 2018

Thank you for the reply.  Looks like there may be an option using Bob Swift Command Line Interface.  It can create a new version of the document.  I'm trying that out and seeing if it will work for me.

Shannon S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 30, 2018

Oh great! Thank you for letting us know.

If you figure out how to get it to work you can feel free to post the solution here in case someone else wants to do the same thing.

Regards,

Shannon

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events