Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I add space name to updates in the Confluence dashboard?

Frank Kuziomko December 1, 2015

Currently, dashboard updates only show the following information:

• title of page updated
  • user who made the update
  • time of update

How can I modify this to also include the name of the space containing the page.

2 answers

0 votes
Sam Hall
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 7, 2016

We've been using a block of custom Javascript to do this for a long time. I'm looking for a better option now as I'm sick of maintaining this hack. See details here... https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/149261

It seems there have been a few changes since I last looked at this. For the old dashboard, the logic which could support this is contained within the recently-updated-dashboard macro. You can embed that Macro in a page and open the Macro browser to see the available options. No where is there an option to display the space name, which is a shame as the effort to add that support to the Macro would be minimal. The new one works a bit different, there is no macro reference in the global layout. I'm guessing the old dashboard is not going to get any love now, so any hopes of a configuration option is dead and burried.

I've tracked down the actual file with the template on the file system this time for the new dashboard. It exists within Confluence Dashboard Plugin. If you are hosting your own Confluence 5.10.4, you can find that plugin here... confluence/WEB-INF/atlassian-bundled-plugins/confluence-dashboard-1.0.39.jar

Editing this seems a better option than the javascript hack I've been using in the past. It'll still have to be maintained on every upgrade though. Shutdown Confluence, keep a backup of the jar somewhere (in another directory) and rename the file with a .zip extension. Extract it if need be. Edit the logic which is at the end of templates/modules/stream-item/stream-item-template.soy to include an entry with spaceName, e.g.

<span class="update-item-title">{$changeItem.html |noAutoescape}</span>
            {if $changeItem.spaceName}
                <br/><span class="update-item-date">{$changeItem.spaceName}</span>
            {/if}

Zip it back up, ensuring the structure is the same. Rename it and replace it where it was originally then restart confluence. You'll need to to a hard refresh in the browser to notice the change.

My plan now is to disable the Opt-Out button on the new dashboard, but if you want to maintain the old dashboard, a similar approach should work on the file called confluence-dashboard-macros-5.10.4.jar too.

0 votes
Olivier Delvigne February 21, 2016
 I would also like to do the same, I have not found yet

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events