How can I add in an interactive drop down menu on a page?

Derek Magnuson July 31, 2020

How can I add in an interactive drop down menu on a page?

3 answers

17 votes
Svetoslav Sotirov February 28, 2023

Why there is no native control in confluence for a drop down that you can use in pages?

11 votes
Stiltsoft Support
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
February 16, 2022

Hello @Derek Magnuson

You can create dropdown menus in Confluence with Handy Status. It's one of many macros included in our Handy Macros for Confluence. With its help, you can create custom sets of statuses and switch them without editing the page.

Screenshot 2022-02-16 at 23-22-24 Product Releases - Internship Server Month 2 - Confluence.png

Best regards,

Elena

Elsa Navarro January 31, 2024

How is this supposed to be helpful. if we work in a big company which for security reasons cant do a cloud version.  is there  any other option, that is included in the server/ data center  solution?

Like Holly Scott likes this
5 votes
Stephen Wright _Elabor8_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 31, 2020

Hi @Derek Magnuson 

It depends what you mean by interactive drop-down menu - there's two options here:

• Lists on Templates
  • Lists on Pages (i.e post-creation)

You haven't mentioned a hosting type so this is based on Cloud - although I'm pretty sure it's quite similar across Server/DC.

----------------

Templates:

You can add custom templates - like the ones offered during creation such as Blank Page or Blog Post. In templates, you can have an interactive list where you choose the options before the page creates, and then the options chosen form part of the data on that page.

To be clear, the drop-down is only available here during creation - not after.

To create a template like this you'll need to be a Space Admin and then:

1. Go to Space Settings > Content Tools > Templates
  2. On the right-hand side, press the "Create Template" button
  3. Type onto the page "/variable" - which will locate the variable macro
  4. Once added to the page, click on the variable macro and press the pencil to edit
  5. Give the variable a name (this doesn't appear on page post-creation)
  6. Select List from the options, and enter your options for the drop-down as "Option 1, Option 2, Option 3"
  7. Press Save
  8. Finish creating the template and press the blue "Save" button in the top-right corner when complete

^ When creating a page with this template the drop-down fields will be available to choose options for during creation.

----------------

Pages:

On pages themselves, having a drop-down field isn't possible natively. You could try an app - such as Easy Dropdown - or an alternative I've seen users try in the past is:

1. Edit a page - and select the macro "Expand" by typing /expand
  2. Give it a title - then in the main body, create a checkbox using the shortcut "[]"
  3. Add more checkboxes depending on how many options are in your list
  4. Press the Publish button in the top-right corner

^ This isn't a drop-down list, but it's an alternative option!

Ste

MarQuita Scott July 14, 2022

I've tried this a few times this hasn't worked for me.  Is there something that I'm doing wrong?

Like imachin likes this
imachin July 27, 2022

The shortcut "[]" does not work. Also when I try to add a checkbox without shortcut it gets pushed out of the /expand macro. 

Stephen Wright _Elabor8_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 2, 2022

Hi @imachin , @MarQuita Scott ,

I tested this in Cloud and both worked fine.

Can you clarify whether you are on Server/DC or Cloud? What is happening when you try @MarQuita Scott ?

Ste

MarQuita Scott September 6, 2022

I'm on the cloud.

Nicholas Savage October 10, 2022

I've just tested on Confluence cloud and it works but not inside a table.

Like # people like this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events