How can I add a background color to row in table?

Anne-Marie Colendich October 27, 2020

I don't see this setting on my confluence page to add background color to a row in table???

Screen Shot 2020-10-27 at 12.02.09 PM.png

1 answer

4 votes
Walter Buggenhout
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 28, 2020

Hi @Anne-Marie Colendich,

Just highlight the row by clicking the narrow grey placeholder at the left side of that row. It will highlight the entire row.

Then, you will see a tiny arrow appear when you hover over any cell in that row.

Clicking the arrow will pop up a menu where you can select background color:

Screenshot 2020-10-28 at 08.46.43.png 

eric_buerger January 5, 2022

I've performed this action, but for some reason the option change Cell Background still isn't showing. I do see the options for Insert/Remove etc. Any other thoughts for why this might be? The tables that have colors I need to change, are being copy/pasted from word and already contain a color -- However, I need to change the color it pastes in.

Like # people like this
Anabell Chiu-Carag February 9, 2022

This feature disappeared.  Is there a switch that will turn this on?

Like # people like this
Ilya Spevak February 21, 2022

Just found it as describedScreenshot 2022-02-21 at 13.10.52.png

eric_buerger February 21, 2022

Yea. I’m wondering if this is a software version specific feature, one that may be disabled under certain cases of copy/pasting text, or as someone else has suggested, perhaps there’s a switch which administrators have turned off.  It was definitely not there for me despite looking in many locations beyond the one suggested. 

Ilya Spevak February 23, 2022

It seems, this feature is only available in Confluence. There is no "Cell background" option in Jira. So you might be editing the table in Jira?

Screenshot 2022-02-23 144013.png

Like # people like this
EtienneSevin September 22, 2022

I would have sworn I saw this feature (I still have coloured cells) but I can't see it anymore :-/

Steve Myers October 18, 2022

I just ran into this.  It's a bug.  

What I describe here is all in Jira, not Confluence.

The cell color is available when you click Create and add a table to the Description field, but after saving the issue, the option is no longer in the cell menu when you return to the issue to edit it.

Now I have a table with half the cells colored that I wanted and can't color the rest!

Like # people like this
romain_labat October 28, 2022

Hello @Steve Myers

As a workaround you can update the issue by api on /rest/api/3/issue/$issueNumber by passing an attrs object to the tableCell or tableHeader

Here is a full example of description field

{"version":1,"type":"doc","content":[{"type":"table","attrs":{"isNumberColumnEnabled":false,"layout":"default","localId":"5d082302-4622-4b51-a05f-d123d50b022c"},"content":[{"type":"tableRow","content":[{"type":"tableHeader","attrs":{"background":"#4c9aff"},"content":[{"type":"paragraph","content":[{"type":"text","text":"test 1","marks":[{"type":"strong"}]}]}]}]},{"type":"tableRow","content":[{"type":"tableCell","attrs":{},"content":[{"type":"paragraph","content":[{"type":"text","text":"test2"}]}]}]}]}]}

Here is the corresponding screenshot

Screenshot from 2022-10-28 10-35-49.png

Regards

Laudan Kirk May 9, 2023

Anyone see a fix for this bug rather than a work around? I can't change colors and this would be so helpful if I could. 

Like # people like this
jeffrey_wright June 20, 2023

Ugh, it works in Confluence but not Jira? Why don't they have a common code base? So many reasons to dislike Atlassian products - and finding new ones every day

Like # people like this

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events