Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

High spikes CPU usage for java (confluence 7.3)

Jakub Pawlak March 30, 2020

We have just installed Confluence 7.3 but when I start software I see CPU Spikes caused by OpenJDK. I was trying to solve problem using this guide but no success. https://confluence.atlassian.com/confkb/confluence-is-causing-large-cpu-usage-spikes-intermittently-on-windows-788960799.html.

1 answer

0 votes
Daniel Ebers
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 30, 2020

Hi Jakub,

are those spikes only occurring for some time after the start of confluence or are they visible throughout the whole day?

A few spikes after the startup are somewhat common - but they should go away after a few minutes.

Cheers,
Daniel

The spikes are visible throughout whole the day and start as soon as the confluence run begins. Java reaches about 80% of the processor every 5 seconds. The serveris not used by users jest. We are concerned about the promotion of the server for production.

Daniel Ebers
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 30, 2020

Hi Jakub,

I see - unfortunately this could have more than just one cause.

Without further knowledge of system, setup and tooling I only could recommend going through the knowledgebase article on this.

Please also have a look at the hardware requirements guide if hardware is sized correctly.

Overall, this might need further investigation by system administrators (on site) - it's quite hard to debug without deepest knowledge of the setup.

Cheers,
Daniel

What about version. I see that 7.3 is not recommended for production environment. Maybe we should reinstall it to latest 6?

Daniel Ebers
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 30, 2020

Hi Jakub,

Confluence 7.3.4 is the latest available version at the time of writing - and indeed suitable for production environments.

If you want to go with the Enterprise releae (currently 6.13.11) it would be also possible.

Depending on the actual source of your instance spiking this might not help. In case, for example, some configuration is wrong and applied to Confluence 6.13 - the issues will remain.

Cheers,
Daniel

We have on the same server Jira instance. We do not have such problems witch Jira. Problem appears when we start confluence service. I see one difference. For Jira service use 64 Bit version of tomcat8 but for confluence service use 32 bit of tomcat9 even I've been install confluence from this source atlassian-confluence-7.3.3-x64.exe. I do not see 64 bit version of tomcat9 in confluence root directory. Is it possible that it can be a problem?

OK. Problem solved. I noticed that problem appears when I secure communications by HTTPS in proper modification of server.xml. When I shwitch off https, problem disappears. It looks, when you want to use https sever.xml is not only one modification what you need. I've just switch on https and also copied C:\Program Files\Atlassian\Confluence\jre\lib\security content from the same directory but jira instance. Now everything works as expected. No any unwanted and strange CPU utilization. 

Regards

Daniel Ebers
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 30, 2020

Nice to hear - debugging without direct remote system access is always a bit hard.
Common setup to terminate SSL for confluence is a reverse proxy (via Apache or nginx) - it is somewhat easier to maintain than at Tomcat level.
In case you are interested in further reading kindly check here.

When you say CPU load peaks when SSL is enabled it might be that the physical machine is at limits - as SSL termination is one of the things that takes resources (especially CPU).

With some further reading, though, it should be possible to further elaborate on the setup and to see if it works with SSL and without the spiking CPU load.

Cheers,
Daniel

Daniel 

I agree that SSL increase CPU requirements but not in such way. CPU spikes even if there was not any server connection (!! crazy). I think that it could by some different settings in java.security file comparing to jira instance. I don not know what exaclty but it will be my further investigation. For now I'am happy that I solved the problem.

Regards

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events