Hide space activity

Hi all,

is there a way to hide the space activity (Browse / activity) from certain groups? We don't want everybody to see this. Will it also be hidden if you are on pages (Browse / pages) where the different possibilities are shown as tabs?

Thanks,

Bruce

3 answers

Hi Bruce,

I'm afraid there isn't a permission option for the Space Activity since it is a plugin that can be disabled by your system administrator.

You may be able to customize Confluence in order to hide this option from certain groups/users, but that would require some level of coding skills. Let's hope someone else with more expertise than me can help you out.

Cheers

The simplest and easiest way is to hide/remove the contents of the Activity tab (instead of hiding the menu and tab). This can be done using JavaScript. Go to Confluence Admin > Layouts and click Create Custom/Edit on Main Layout. Add the following lines of codes before the closing tag of "head" (i.e. before </head>):

#if ($userAccessor.hasMembership('confluence-users', $helper.action.remoteUser.name))
	&lt;script&gt;
		AJS.toInit(function(){
			AJS.$('.space-activity').remove();
		});
	&lt;/script&gt;
#end

This will hide the contents of Activity tab from the confluence-users group. Please note that users are still able to see the contents if they view the source of the page

If you want to completely remove the contents of the page, then you'll need to edit the JAR file of the Usage Tracking Plugin. Go to <confluence-install>/confluence/WEB-INF/classes/com/atlassian/confluence/setup and open atlassian-bundled-plugins.zip. Locate and open usage-tracking-plugin-x.xx.x.jar which is the JAR file of the plugin. The file that you need to look at is located in templates/usage, called report-controls.vm. Please refer to the following documentation for more info:

Hi Amalia,

thanks for your input but unfortunately we are usingthe Documentation Theme. The easy way you described does not work there (which would suffice). Is there an easy way to change this in the theme or does it mean to change the jar files?

Regards, Bruce

Suggest an answer

Atlassian Community Anniversary

Happy Anniversary, Atlassian Community!

This community is celebrating its one-year anniversary and Atlassian co-founder Mike Cannon-Brookes has all the feels.

Read more
Community showcase
Kesha Thillainayagam
Posted Apr 13, 2018 in Confluence

We want to hear how your non-technical teams are using Confluence!

Hi Community! Kesha (kay-sha) from the Confluence marketing team here! Can you share stories with us on how your non-technical (think Marketing, Sales, HR, legal, etc.) teams are using Confluen...

373 views 20 10
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you