Has anyone here implemented a Lessons Learned type database in Confluence?

KJansen4 October 10, 2022

We are trying to look into Confluence as a potential database for holding information regarding what went well and what did not for projects throughout their lifecycle. We have a bunch of needs and requirements that would need to be fulfilled, and I have found it overwhelming which places to begin. One specific setback I have run into is creating variables within a page properties macro, which due to using I believe an older editor, does not allow the template to be editable. Has anyone implemented something similar and if so what are some tips/pointers?

1 answer

2 votes
Max Foerster - K15t
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 14, 2022

Hey there @KJansen4,

I am confident that I can help you with your project! 😄🤘🏼 Am I right in thinking that you are using Confluence Cloud? Because you mentioned something about an "older editor". But please let me know.

So if you are on cloud, I recommend you take a look at our app Orderly Databases for Confluence on the Atlassian Marketplace. It sounds like a perfect fit for your use case. The app offers you a lightweight and easy-to-use database structure to store and organize structured information like your Lessons Learned. You might know something similar from Notion or Airtable. Here's an example of what a database can look like.

orderly_table.png

If you're familiar with tables and page properties, you will feel at home immediately. But the significant advantage is that Orderly's databases are a lot smarter than tables and page properties.

Not only in terms of features like variables (I will come to that soon) to provide guidance to users but also because the information is centrally stored. It can be added, edited, and displayed everywhere in Confluence. Information is way easier to maintain because it is not living on each specific page like with page properties and then pulled into a read-only page properties report.

So what type of variables would you like to use in the templates? With Orderly, you can choose from different field types to match any kind of information and mention users, create select lists, add free text, or use dates and link to Confluence pages. With a little more information, I'd be happy to help you build your use case and see if this could work for you.

Have a nice weekend!

Max

P.S. To finish the week with a smile and if you want to get an impression of what you can achieve with Orderly, I highly recommend watching our recent demo submission for Atlassian's Apptoberfest in the Atlassian Community: 🍻🍂 Apptoberfest 2022 🍂🥨 Orderly Databases Came To Play, Seriously 🐝 🏟

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events