Has anyone had an issue with Synchrony not restarting from the Collaborative Editing page?

Jason Chambers May 8, 2023

Confluence Version 7.13.7
Synchrony is managed by Confluence

Under General Configuration > Collaborative Editing page, I am unable to restart Synchrony. When I select the restart button, I get a system message that "This may take a few minutes" and nothing happens.

I first went to Troubleshooting Collaborative Editing. Then checked errors in the synchrony log to find 'Not enough space', which lead me to How to Increase Synchrony Heap Allocation

The AWS instance that Confluence is running on didn't have enough free memory to support increasing the heap size to 4GB. I figured this added to the problem.

I increased the instance type, rebooted it, ran ./stop-confluence.sh and then added the following to setenv.sh: 
CATALINA_OPTS="-Dsynchrony.memory.max=4g ${CATALINA_OPTS}"

I restarted Confluence and then from the Collaborative Editing page, tried to restart Synchrony. This did not fix the issue. 

Other items of note:

• When I run 'netstat -nlpt | grep 8091', nothing comes back.
  • I tried to restart Synchrony from the CLI, but this was also unsuccessful. 

I am not the original administrator for this account and the previous are not available to provide a clear direction, so I've had to learn the hard way. 

1 answer

0 votes
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 8, 2023

Hello @Jason Chambers 

Welcome to the Atlassian community.

This post seems very similar to an earlier post from you. Is this actually the same problem/instance?

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Confluence-questions/Has-anyone-had-an-issue-with-Synchrony-not-restarting-from-the/qaq-p/2353130

I notice only one difference:

• I tried to restart Synchrony from the CLI, but this was also unsuccessful. 

vs.

• I tried to restart Synchrony from the CLI, but it is not configured for that. 
Jason Chambers May 9, 2023

It is the same issue. I added it to Data Center because we recently updated our license to the Data Center license. 

Please remove the first post to avoid confusion.

Respectfully,

Jason

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events