HTTP Status 500 - Unknown column 'this.external_id' in 'field list'

The title says it all, but below is some snippet of the error information. Please help.

What I did
I have upgraded the Confluence from 5.0.x to the latest via .bin (64 bit) on our instance. The upgrade went well and the installation reported that the Confluence has been upgraded successfully. I tried to restart and I see only HTTP Status 500 error with the below snippet of the error message.

Solution That I tried
I have tried the below solution but in vain.
  1. https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/CONFKB/How+to+Change+All+Columns%27+Collation+to+utf8_bin+in+MySQL
  2. https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/218119/confluence-error-missing-field-external_id

Error Info
org.springframework.jdbc.BadSqlGrammarException: Hibernate operation: Unable to perform find; bad SQL grammar []; nested exception is com.mysql.jdbc.exceptions.jdbc4.MySQLSyntaxErrorException: Unknown column 'this.external_id' in 'field list' org.springframework.jdbc.support.SQLStateSQLExceptionTranslator.doTranslate(SQLStateSQLExceptionTranslator.java:97) org.springframework.jdbc.support.AbstractFallbackSQLExceptionTranslator.translate(AbstractFallbackSQLExceptionTranslator.java:72) org.springframework.orm.hibernate.HibernateAccessor.convertJdbcAccessException(HibernateAccessor.java:364) org.springframework.orm.hibernate.HibernateAccessor.convertHibernateAccessException(HibernateAccessor.java:351) org.springframework.orm.hibernate.HibernateTemplate.execute(HibernateTemplate.java:375) org.springframework.orm.hibernate.HibernateTemplate.execute(HibernateTemplate.java:337) com.atlassian.crowd.embedded.hibernate2.HibernateUserDao.internalFindUser(HibernateUserDao.java:472) com.atlassian.crowd.embedded.hibernate2.HibernateUserDao.internalFindByName(HibernateUserDao.java:449) com.atlassian.crowd.embedded.hibernate2.HibernateUserDao.findByName(HibernateUserDao.java:429) com.atlassian.confluence.user.crowd.CachedCrowdUserDao$1.apply(CachedCrowdUserDao.java:76) com.atlassian.confluence.user.crowd.CachedCrowdUserDao$1.apply(CachedCrowdUserDao.java:71) com.atlassian.confluence.cache.option.OptionalReadThroughCache.get(OptionalReadThroughCache.java:33) com.atlassian.confluence.user.crowd.CachedCrowdUserDao.findUser(CachedCrowdUserDao.java:136) com.atlassian.confluence.user.crowd.CachedCrowdUserDao.findByName(CachedCrowdUserDao.java:158)

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Accepted answer

Thanks to Hercules. It gave me a hint to a solution that solved this problem. Some of the tables were in MyISAM and when I replaced those tables with InnoDB and made the MySQL default engine type to InnoDB, the problem was solved.

I think the automatic upgrade should do this as part of the checklist and ensure that the DB schema contains an appropriate configuration/data.

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Posted Oct 24, 2018 in Confluence

Atlassian Research opportunity with Confluence templates

Do you use templates with Confluence? Take part in a remote 1-hr workshop. You'll receive USD $100 for your time!   We're looking for people to participate in a   remote 1-hr workshop...

1,100 views 17 14
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you