Google Analytics - track one space

Victor Prasad June 7, 2017

Hello,

We use Google Analytics for our whole Confluence instance (just one .js tag putin the custom html)

If I want to track just one space.  I went ot behaviour - all pages and did a search for the space key - but I think that just takes me to the main page.  How do I track all visits to one space?

Thanks

Mr. V

1 answer

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
David at David Simpson Apps
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
June 22, 2017

Add a custom dimension which tracks the space key, then in Google Analytics you can simply filter on the space key to see the results for just that space.

See my blogpost - Tracking Atlassian Confluence usage with Google Analytics - for how to do this, or copy the code below:

<script>
  // Standard Google Universal Analytics code
  (function(i,s,o,g,r,a,m){i['GoogleAnalyticsObject']=r;i[r]=i[r]||function(){
  (i[r].q=i[r].q||[]).push(arguments)},i[r].l=1*new Date();a=s.createElement(o),
  m=s.getElementsByTagName(o)[0];a.async=1;a.src=g;m.parentNode.insertBefore(a,m)
  })(window,document,'script','//www.google-analytics.com/analytics.js','ga');
  AJS.toInit(function(){
    ga('create', 'UA-XXXX-Y', 'auto');
    // Add a page-level custom variable to record the space-key
    if (typeof AJS.params.spaceKey === 'string') {
      ga('set', 'dimension1', AJS.params.spaceKey); // Set a `spaceKey` dimension at page level
    }
    ga('send', 'pageview');
  });
</script>  

Victor Prasad June 22, 2017

Wow!  That is fantastic!

We do not use the Google Analytics Plugin, instead, we just added the tracking code to the Custom HTML.

Will this still work?

Substitute my GA code instead UA-XXXX-Y?

Thanks!

Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
July 9, 2017

Yes, that's correct :)

Victor Prasad July 10, 2017

Great!

I don't have the Google Analytics Plugin - will I still be able to get this info easily?

For this part:

"You now have a Custom Dimension named Confluence Space Key which is available for use within the Google Analytics interface. Next, you’ll need to populate this custom dimension with some data. "

I see this:

var dimensionValue = 'SOME_DIMENSION_VALUE';
ga('set', 'dimension1', dimensionValue);

dimensionValue is the space key?

And where does this code go?  In my custom HTML?

Sorry for the noob questions.

Thanks,

Marketplace Partner
July 12, 2017
web service September 17, 2017

Hi,

There is a new and recommended Global Site Tag (gtag.js) tracking code as follows.
What's the respective way of adding Space tracking to a custom dimension? Thank you

<!-- Global Site Tag (gtag.js) - Google Analytics -->
<script async src="https://www.googletagmanager.com/gtag/js?id=UA-XXXX"></script>
<script>
window.dataLayer = window.dataLayer || [];
function gtag(){dataLayer.push(arguments)};
gtag('js', new Date());

gtag('config', 'UA-XXXX');
</script>

Susan Ostreicher
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 4, 2018

@web service, I just came across this article. Does this help answer your question? 

Custom dimensions and metrics with gtag.js

Susan Ostreicher
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 4, 2018
<!-- Global site tag (gtag.js) - Google Analytics -->
<script async src="https://www.googletagmanager.com/gtag/js?id=UA-XXXXXXXXX-Y"></script>
<script>
window.dataLayer = window.dataLayer || [];
function gtag(){dataLayer.push(arguments);}
gtag('js', new Date());

// Maps 'dimension1' to 'Confluence_Space_Key'.
gtag('config', 'UA-XXXXXXXXX-Y', {
'custom_map': {'dimension1': 'Confluence_Space_Key'}
});

// Sends an event that passes 'Confluence_Space_Key' as a parameter.
if (typeof AJS.params.spaceKey === 'string') {
gtag('event', 'pageview', {'Confluence_Space_Key': AJS.params.spaceKey});
}

</script>

I'm working through the same issue and trying to piece together the code, though without really understanding what I'm looking at.  

@David at David Simpson Apps, not sure if you can confirm if the above would work for gtag.js, but your blog posts have been so helpful and I'd love to someone more knowledgeable than I am take a look at this!

Helen Gosper October 15, 2019

I gather this won't work for Confluence cloud - anyone?

Unless there is somewhere else to put the code, 'custom html' not seeming to be available in Admin?

Marketplace Partner
October 16, 2019

Helen, you can use Google Analytics in Confluence on Cloud, then use the drilldown report in Google Analytics to look at analytics on one space.

Nicole October 16, 2019

@Helen Gosper

Just a note, Atlassian limits the data (location and page views) we can see in Google Analytics about public (anonymous, unauthenticated) users. My thought is that they are pushing Confluence users to purchase Premium to get Analytics which includes page views and authenticated user activity.

Like Helen Gosper likes this
Adriane Hunt May 9, 2023

Hi David. We're not quite ready to move to Cloud. Can you suggest custom HTML for G4 in Confluence Server?

Regards, Adriane

Like Gonchik Tsymzhitov likes this
Gonchik Tsymzhitov
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 23, 2023

@Adriane Hunt did you find some solution?

Adriane Hunt October 24, 2023

We used the same gtag.js script and just replaced the UA property ID with the GA4 property ID.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events