Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Glossary quick populate

Troy Parry February 28, 2017

Is there a way to Populate a Glossary from a Spreadsheet, table or csv file?

Thanks.

2 answers

1 vote
Troy Parry March 2, 2017

Sandy,

this looks great. 
We are using the Glossary Plugin and I am hoping there is a similar Excell upload that we can do.
Do you know of any way to do an upload of Glossary terms into the Glossary Plugin?

Thanks.

Troy 

1 vote
Sandy Johnson March 1, 2017

Hi Troy

I use a spreadsheet to populate my glossary in Confluence. The glossary uses the expand macro so that you can click on the word to see the definition (see the first screen shot below). Example hereimage2017-3-1 16:23:48.png

To populate the glossary I use a spreadsheet with 3 columns Term, Definition and Layout. Example here

image2017-3-1 16:26:4.png

The layout column is a formula that formats the expand macro using the information from te 2 columns to the left. The formula is

="{expand:title="&B3&"}"&CHAR(10)&"{quote}"&CHAR(10)&C3&CHAR(10)&"{quote}"&CHAR(10)&"{expand}"

In this example, the above formula goes in cell D3 and you can copy it down to as many terms as you like.

To get the glossary into Confluence, I next copy all the cells in column D into Notepad shown here

image2017-3-1 16:31:31.png

Excel adds double quotes to the beginning and end of each line (term) so those need to be removed. Once done, I simply copy those line my Confluence page using the Insert Markup choice and I'm done.

image2017-3-1 16:33:59.png

Hope this helps.

Thanks, Sandy

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events