Gliffy - any way to draw polygons freehand?

Patrick O_Connell September 13, 2019

Hello all,

(Kind-of side note: I'm surprised there are not more questions and discussions here, about it. Is there a different forum for Gliffy users, maybe not one that Atlassian runs?)

I suspect I already know the answer to this, and that the idea I had is not quite workable in Gliffy.

Large diagram, with a lot of boxes, and also a lot of arrows. Some of these boxes can be categorized together, in "slices." The boxes that make up these slices are not always all adjoining.

I'd like to do this so that these highlights are visually contiguous, with straight-edged but polygonal shapes - an "L" shape would be an example of this.

My thought was to use the layers in Gliffy to have partly transparent shapes behind arrows-and-boxes, to highlight the different slices. Viewers would have to edit the diagram non-destructively to turn the layers off and on, but they could be given instructions to that effect.

I think this is just not there, in Gliffy. Nor does it seem possible to edit an existing polygon from a shape bank.

I'd be happy to hear that I'm wrong about this.

Thanks, & sorry for novella-sized post,
Pat O'Connell
Technical writer
Mindgeek

3 answers

0 votes
Damien Ernaut January 5, 2023

Hi,

any feedback on that request?

I also would like to draw a such complicated "L-form" ;-)

0 votes
Samie Kaufman - Your Gal at Gliffy
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 20, 2021

Hi Patrick!

This is not possible but it's a great idea. I'll pass it over to our PM.

In the meantime/as a workaround, you can upload custom shapes to Gliffy. Here's the youtube how-to.

0 votes
Fabian Lim
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 19, 2021

Hi Patrick,

I would just message them directly to find out. Here is their support website: https://help.gliffy.com/confluence/Content/GliffyCommon/Contact-us.htm

Regards 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events