Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give user permission to view only one space on our Wiki?

Sander Randall November 6, 2013

I am looking to have a user that has access to only one space on our wiki. They would not be able to edit the page or add anything. We can't use the anonymous user feature as the info is proprietary and we want to control who sees it.

We just want a specific user to only have viewing access to one space and nothing else.

4 answers

2 votes
Andrew Spear August 10, 2016

If you already have a bunch of spaces and default permissions but now you want to bring on a team member who can only access certain spaces, this is the best method I've found for achieving this in 2016:

1. Create a new group for this type of person via User Management / Groups
  2. Add the "can use" permission to the new group via Confluence Administration / Global Permissions
  3. Give this group access to the space(s) you want via Space / Space Tools / Permissions
  4. Now create your new user via User Management and remove them from the default confluence-users group and instead add them only to the new group you created above.

Now you have a new user who belongs to a new group and that group gives them access to Confluence but only to the space you defined. It's still quite a few steps and you have to jump all over the admin areas but it gets the job done smile

1 vote
Abdoulaye Kindy Diallo
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 6, 2013

You could add him as an individual user and grant access accordingly: https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/DOC/Assigning+Space+Permissions

Right, we've created a user for him, but we only want him to access one space. Seems the only way to do this is to restrict acess to everyone minus this user, and then do that for every space. Seems very unecessary. There must be a way to specify that this user can only view one space.

Zans McLachlan March 5, 2014

We have a similar requirement. Anyone have a solution besides manually setting each space plus the one the user needs access to?

salehparsa
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 7, 2014

1- create a group for "UserGroup" if you have users on your Confluence instance then assign users to that group.

1. Go to your Confluence Admin
  2. Select Group
  3. Add Group and Save it
  4. Add Members
  • Please ensure that each user you create is removed from the confluence-users group. That way, they can't access the rest of your Confluence instance

2- Grant "can use" permission to your "UserGroup" group

1. Go to Global Permission
  2. Edit Permissions
  3. Add "UserGroup" to the Groups
  4. Save All

3- Grant space permission to your "UserGroup" group

1. Go to Space Permissions
  2. Under "Individual Spaces" select Manage Permissions of your "SpecificSpace" space
  3. On Permissions, click on Edit Permissions and grant permission (based on your need) to "UserGroup" Group
  4. Save All
  • Please make sure that you removed the Anonymous Access Permission from all other spaces. If rest of the spaces has anonymous access permission, UserGroup can see that spaces.
Sander Randall March 13, 2014

Okay, Saleh, this kinda worked.

When the user logs in, they are directed to the project management dashboard, and since they are not part of our team and not included in Jira, this page is mostly empty. This user can see all of our project management spaces, we definitely don't want that. Also, they can see every user of Jira, bad as well.

I've done everything I can to limit this user to only one space, yet they still have the ability to see labels of things!

Here's the problem I am trying to find a solution for: We want to grant a single outside individual access to a wiki space. They should not be allowed to see any other aspects of our Atlassian portfolio (Jira, other wikis, etc...)

This doesn't seem like an impossible request, yet somehow it seems that way.

Craig Stevenson January 11, 2015

I am running into the same issue. We want to grant access to a single workspace (e.g. to potential investors). The instructions above work for that goal. But the Atlassian system insists on bleeding a lot of other proprietary information such People (lists our entire founding team) and our Space Categorization list (which discloses methods and technologies).

0 votes
Robert Moore September 15, 2014

Has a solution been identified other than the one above?  The last date on this thread was Nov 7, 2013.  I'm hoping Atlassian has found a more elegant solution.  The above process seems arduous.

0 votes

Right, we've created a user for him, but we only want him to access one space. Seems the only way to do this is to restrict acess to everyone minus this user, and then do that for every space. Seems very unecessary. There must be a way to specify that this user can only view one space.

Craig Stevenson January 11, 2015

Sandar, please see the notes from Selah Parsa above. Essentially, you are creating a User Group (e.g. through Crowd or locally). You then create a user (or use the one you already created) and add them as a member of that new User Group... and make sure they are **not** a member of any other group. Then, in Confluence give that new User Group "Can Use" permission. Then, go to the work space and give that new User Group permission to view that work space. That should limit the new user to that single workspace. But, the user will still be able to view People director and Space Categories list (but not the Space Directory iteself).

James Whitby October 18, 2016

I am unable to give the new group 'Can Use' permission - the group doesn't appear under the Global Permission tab even when I choose 'Edit Permissions' (with 'admin' and 'site admin' privileges). The new group is, however, listed under 'Groups'. Am I missing something here? 

also, using the Safari 10.0 browser under Mac OSX 10.11.6, I am unable to reply in this forum...

Joe F. Lee October 18, 2017

I have the same issue and also can not see/add the created group on the Global Permission tab but it is listed on the Groups admin page.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events