It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

Get user account ID via API from email/username Edited

Get user account ID via API from email/username

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted

Hello there, @ksa !

Since GDPR struck, many changes were needed to make our environment compliant with it. One of those changes includes the privacy of user-related information, such as names and emails.

Currently, I believe that the fastest way to acquire such userIDs is by exporting the user list of your instance. This procedure is explained here:

If your users are from the same domain or from a multitude of domains of which you happen to have access, you could verify those in your Organization side. Here is how you verify them:

After the domains are verified (if you needed to verify them), we can use our REST API endpoints to get the necessary user info. Here is more information on the tooling to do this:

I hope this clears the skies for you a little bit, Kasia! Looking forward to your reply.

0 votes

Hello Kasia, and welcome to the Community!

We appreciate you reaching out in regards to the API changes which return account ID where they used to return username. The information you’re referring to can be found within the deprecation notice which is located at Deprecation notice and migration guide for major changes to Confluence Cloud REST APIs to improve user privacy.

If you want to return to a users User ID then we would suggest using the following endpoints to get a users User ID / Account ID:

1. GET /wiki/rest/api/user/bulk/migration
  2. GET /wiki/rest/api/user

The first endpoint will allow you to return a user with their account ID. From there, you will pass said account ID over to the second endpoint, which will allow you to return the users User ID then.

I hope this information proves helpful and you’re able to access the user information you need via the REST API.

Regards,
Stephen Sifers

Stephen,

Those links seem to be old. Do you have updated ones?

Do you suggest I keep a table locally to lookup account IDs?

Thanks,

David

Suggest an answer

TAGS
Community showcase
Posted in Confluence

What project did you transition or start on Confluence with the shift to remote work?

It’s been great to hear from fellow users over the last few weeks about the best tips and fun moments you’ve had working on Confluence since the transition to working remote. I’d love to keep the c...

157 views 3 8
Join discussion

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you