It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

Function and clean-up of imgEffects directory

On our Confluence Server instance, the "imgEffects" directory has grown to a reasonable size (47GB).

• What is the purpose of this directory? Which type of data a stored therein?
  • Can it be safely cleaned-up (e.g. delete all files older 1 year or something like that)?

I could not find a useful piece of text that describes this directory in more detail.

Thanks a lot & best regards,

-Rainer

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Steven Behnke Community Leader Apr 03, 2020

Yes you can purge old files. This is the borders effects generated for images. 

Thanks a lot for your fast reply.
Just for curiosity and not because I am not "trusting" your statement: is there an official reference about the purpose of this directory?

Thanks a lot, best,

-Rainer

Steven Behnke Community Leader Apr 03, 2020

CONFSERVER-33048 https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/CONF-33048

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/CONFSERVER-52626

Unfortunately I can find tickets but not documentation. 

Same for me. This was exactly the reason why I've been asking ;-)

Anyhow: thanks!

Just to be clear:  what would happen if we purged all files in imgEffects? 

Would the image effects be lost forever, or would they regenerate on a visit to the page?

We're about to migrate from Server to Data Centre, and I want to pare down the local directories to minimise what has to be transferred over to the NFS share.

I explicitly tested it with 2 or 3 of them: delete and access again: they were re-created from scratch upon access.

Afterwards, I cleaned them up for all files older than 180 days (incl. empty sub-directories resulting from file cleaning) w/o any negative effect (Confluence Server). And I will repeat doing so every couple of months ;-)

Hope this helps, best,

-Rainer

Thanks.

It's amazing... our confluence-home is around 200GB insize, and it appears we only need to keep about 100MB!

Of course we're a bit behind on migrating attachments to the filesystem from the database... once we do that, we're back to heavy filesystem load, I'm sure.

Kind regards,

Richard.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
SERVER
VERSION
TAGS
Community showcase
Posted in Confluence

Lessons and Learnings: Six Months of Working Remote [Discussion]

Hey there, folks! For most of us, the past six months- yes, you read that right- have been a journey. More people than ever before have pivoted to working remotely, and navigating being on-scre...

8,477 views 6 6
Join discussion

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you