Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Function and clean-up of imgEffects directory

Rainer Pöhlmann April 3, 2020

On our Confluence Server instance, the "imgEffects" directory has grown to a reasonable size (47GB).

• What is the purpose of this directory? Which type of data a stored therein?
  • Can it be safely cleaned-up (e.g. delete all files older 1 year or something like that)?

I could not find a useful piece of text that describes this directory in more detail.

Thanks a lot & best regards,

-Rainer

1 answer

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Steven F Behnke
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 3, 2020

Yes you can purge old files. This is the borders effects generated for images. 

Thanks a lot for your fast reply.
Just for curiosity and not because I am not "trusting" your statement: is there an official reference about the purpose of this directory?

Thanks a lot, best,

-Rainer

Steven F Behnke
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 3, 2020

CONFSERVER-33048 https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/CONF-33048

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/CONFSERVER-52626

Unfortunately I can find tickets but not documentation. 

Like Nathanael Motz likes this

Same for me. This was exactly the reason why I've been asking ;-)

Anyhow: thanks!

Richard Cross May 19, 2020

Just to be clear:  what would happen if we purged all files in imgEffects? 

Would the image effects be lost forever, or would they regenerate on a visit to the page?

We're about to migrate from Server to Data Centre, and I want to pare down the local directories to minimise what has to be transferred over to the NFS share.

Rainer Pöhlmann May 19, 2020

I explicitly tested it with 2 or 3 of them: delete and access again: they were re-created from scratch upon access.

Afterwards, I cleaned them up for all files older than 180 days (incl. empty sub-directories resulting from file cleaning) w/o any negative effect (Confluence Server). And I will repeat doing so every couple of months ;-)

Hope this helps, best,

-Rainer

Richard Cross May 19, 2020

Thanks.

It's amazing... our confluence-home is around 200GB insize, and it appears we only need to keep about 100MB!

Of course we're a bit behind on migrating attachments to the filesystem from the database... once we do that, we're back to heavy filesystem load, I'm sure.

Kind regards,

Richard.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
SERVER
VERSION
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events