Full day confluence calendar events and timezones...

grant.casey November 9, 2022

Why do full day events show as 24hr bookings that straddle days in my 3rd party calendar app? It's so annoying! I just want full day events to show as full day events on any person's individual calendar in their local time zone...

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Andy Gladstone
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 9, 2022

@grant.casey welcome to the Atlassian community. You mention a 3rd party calendar app - which one are you using? Can you post a screenshot so we can help you troubleshoot?

grant.casey November 13, 2022

See below, the team calendar is set to Icelandic time (because I wanted UTC, I think that's the best one to choose). My calendar is in PT

atlassian-cal.png

Andy Gladstone
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 13, 2022

It appears that your screenshot is from a Microsoft Outlook calendar. Even though this is not an Atlassian product, I can help you. To adjust calendar settings, click on File->Options->Calendar to change your settings. Each individual should see the meetings based on their own time zone.

Capture.JPG

I hope this helps, and if it does would appreciate if you could mark this answer as accepted.

Andy Gladstone
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 18, 2022

@grant.casey was my answer able to help you? If so, please mark it as answered so others looking for similar content can find it.

grant.casey February 16, 2023

Hi @Andy Gladstone , that is not my question. In fact, what you show is exactly the cause of the problem. I do see the meetings times exactly in my current Outlook time zone, but as if they are a 24-hour period based on the Atlassian calendar time zone. Thus an "all-day" meeting appears as a 24-hour meeting that spans two of my days.

What I would like to see is the meeting is adjusted to my timezone so it properly shows only during the day in question i.e. it is only date-aligned, not hour aligned.

Obviously we only want this behavior for All-day meetings that do not have hours associated with them. Any time-based meeting like a remote call, a launch event, etc. would need to follow normal time zone rules.

To illustrate my example further....

I run an international team. We have employees around the globe. India, France and US West for example. We put shared events in our calendar, like personal leaves so that the other team members can all see who's taking vacation when. In Atlassian/Confluence, we all see full day events as such no matter what timezone the account is set to. This is the expected experience. However, when subscribed to Outlook the meetings are now set to a 24-hour time period, and everyone sees them across two days as a result (rather than continue to contain in the correct Date.) I believe this is a metadata mismatch between Atlassian and the calendar it prepares for Outlook, not a problem on the Outlook side.

grant.casey February 16, 2023

Without having studied calendar data formats, my assumption is there is a mismatch between Atlassian calendar data format exported and how Outlook interprets that calendar event.

I would guess Atlassian adds the start/end hour to an all-day meeting and then outlook assumes that you really want to use the exact hours in question (all hours are likely based on UTC time, then translated to your local time by the client). 
But an all-day meeting should not have any start/end hours. It should only have a calendar date associated, so outlook would display it exactly as desired.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events