Formatting bulleted list

Rob Billeaud
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
May 7, 2024

OK, I am a complete and total noob. I am just barely finding my way around, so this may sound very basic,  I have been told to edit an existing page with a bulleted list a basic sample shown below. 

I have tried everything I can think of to simply add another item to the list, but it's not working, The item appears but not in the list format shown. This is all very confusing. This edit page doesn't make any sense to me. Seems to me this should be an easy operation, but I feel like I'm trying to fly the space shuttle with no training.

Would appreciate any help you can provide.

list.pngmain edit page.png

5 answers

0 votes
Patricia Modispacher _appanvil_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
May 7, 2024

Hi @Rob Billeaudin the second screenshot, we can see that you are using some panel/page builder macro. Which one is it? If you know how it behaves, you can certainly solve your problem.

0 votes
Kristian Klima
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 7, 2024

Hello @Rob Billeaud 

Your first screenshot (with Main, Item) shows the navigation tree, not the page.

So there you have visualization of the page hierarchy. To add another item, once you position the cursor over any of the items, you'll see a plus sign that allows you to create another page.

You'll quickly find out how to built hierarchies of pages in the navigation tree - and you can simply drag and drop pages around.

As for the bullet lists on the actual page, it kinda works like the editor here.

• item 1 (hit enter to create item 2)
  • item 2 (enter)
    • hit tab to create another level.

It works pretty much like any text editor. 

BTW, your second screenshot shows a page that's been divided into 'panels' and that affects your layout and formatting options. You can either delete them or just forget about this page and create a new one (blank) to start from scratch.

0 votes
Josh Shepherd
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 7, 2024

Hi Rob.. Here are a few thoughts - pardon if these are things you already know!

On a bullet list in Confluence, new items are added to lists just by hitting enter at the end of the previous one. There are very few options for bullets/etc in an attempt to keep the editor plan and simple - with a consistent look across an ecosystem of documents. 

A couple points:

• Documents are either Published/view mode or Edit mode. You toggle between these modes depending if you are changing or reading. You comment on documents to make additions without editing. Click the pencil to switch to edit mode then publish when complete. I don't use the layout page in the screenshot you mentioned above.
  • But, your list looks like a list of documents. In the document list, you cannot create folders but you nest documents under others. (you could think of a parent document as a folder perhaps). In this case, hover on the document and a menu should appear. Create a document under the first one to add it to the list. Then you edit it, publish it, and you can continue from there.

SCR-20240507-jypo.png

Hope this helps and I understood what you were asking!!

0 votes
Dave Rosenlund
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 7, 2024

Hi, @Rob Billeaud. Welcome to the community  👋

While many aspects of Confluence work similarly to word-processing apps, it does not in some respects. This is one such area.

The format of your bullets is determined by a CSS stylesheet.  Unless I missed my guess, someone has mucked around with yours (i.e., this is not default behavior).

You will have to work with your Atlassian system administrator to troubleshoot this. You/they can refer to:

How to change bullet style in a Confluence page

I hope this helps,

-dave

0 votes
Laurie Sciutti
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 7, 2024

hey @Rob Billeaud and welcome to the Community!  You can create a bullet list or a numbered list using the icons in the menu bar highlighted below.  As a side note, maybe have a look at the free training here to help familiarize yourself with Confluence:  Get started with Confluence.  HTH

Capture.PNG

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events