Font, Font Size

This is getting pretty frustrating.

All I want is to change the font and font size of some text in a page I created.

Cannot find the way to do so.

Nothing in the editor toolbar, no "{font}" macro, no "{style}" marco.

This is pretty basic.

What am I missing?

9 answers

1 accepted

This widget could not be displayed.

Ohad,

For Confluence follow these instructions :

Go to your Manage add-ons page in Confluence Administration

Select to see the System add-ons.

Search for the Confluence HTML Macros , open it by clicking on the arrow to the left of the name.

Enable the html (html-xhtml) and other modules you need.

That should do it.

Best regards,

Peter

Yap, this is the one.

Thanks, Peter!

Hey Ohad, can you describe the step by step of how you did it? I'm stuck on this part.

This is a pretty basic feature - is there no other solution besides purchasing a commercial plugin?

Yeah, the HTML macro isn't an option for a lot of firms because it opens up your system to the possibility of someone coding something malicious into your instance. The fact that you can't change font size and/or type while you're creating content in the GUI is utterly ridiculous.

This plugin is paid!

Man, this confluence its definately not newbie proof. All I want is to change the font size of text in a page. Why is it so difficult?  

Second this. Can't believe the hoops you have to jump through to do something as simple as change font size. Plus, if you're just a lowly user, you're SOL.

Plus, this question has been asked in 2013, and it's now 2015. How long does it take to get a font size option in the editor ?

About 4 years it seems...

I believe planning a world cup or maybe the olympics takes less work than implementing this, huh?

Yes it is very frustrating. Spending so much time for a simple 1980's feature.

Very frustrating! When updating simple documents, it shouldn't be this hard. 

I have a running commentary about the lack of functionality for editing pages in Confluence....

Oh you want a Capital C?  Here is a link to a Capital C add-on, but I am now changing it to 'Want a bigger font'? Nope, not gonna happen.  Unfortunately until there is a better forum where the lack of functionality becomes an issue that Atlassian HAS to fix, I doubt there is anyone that will pay attention to simple requests such as 'Font' controls.

It would also be nice for a few more user 101 video tutorials on quick access to setting things up. Most companies have to jump right in to get rolling, and there is very little out there.

I totally agree. How long is it going to take to get an editor with the most basic of necessary functions without having to use convoluted methods. Text size, background color, justified text, lists with bullets and numbering schemes that can be changed, font selection, superscript, subscript, columns that flow text etc., etc.. Man this stuff is super basic and should be in the editor already. Yes you can jump through HTML, CSS, macros and other hoops to do it but those are just super dumb and long winded ways to do basic text entry that should never interrupt the ability to just write and edit a bit of text content. It's also incredibly tough to convince regular people to use the incredibly limited editor features and they invariably end up writing content in external word processor applications and asking us IT guys to handle the formatting to make it look like their external doc. Please take this very seriously and get it together Atlasssian - Wordpress and other CMS platforms are way ahead of you in this regard.

I'm trying to do something similar using the Adaptavist {span} macro. But it's very hit or miss whether  it works or not*. It generally previews properly but only works sometimes with the following parameters

• ID - anything but not blank
  • class - wiki-content  (the documentation says you can define your own classes but I wasn't successful)
  • style - font-size:80%;

* is the moon full? are there secret characters in the markup? Who knows? Using "Cloud" nee "OnDemand"  and we're not allowed to look at the markup. Deleting the whole thing 3 or 4 times and re-entering it sometimes helps which makes me look suspiciously at the underlying markup. 

I just went to modify a page and spent 5 minutes trying to figure out how to change the font.  This is the biggest idiocy I have ever seen!  Please tell me this is a freaking joke.

And  the addons referenced in this thread don't even exist any more, at least not under the names given in this thread.

This lack of care creates a hateful feelings towards Jira. My company uses the solution but not everyone is a developer. If you guys want to sell JIRA Confluence and compete in the Project Management solutions industry, you guys should care to users that are not code-friendly and update an such necessary function. 

It's doubly annoying, because there used to be great features for control of font size back when they had a markup based system.

The "new" WYSIWIG (whether you like it or not) system is awful. It gets slower and slower and slower the more edits you make, and you have to save the page and re-open to fix it.

This would matter less if it wasn't only barely acceptable in responsiveness to start with.

It took away control, speed, flexibility, and made it impossible to simply cut and paste text to and from any editor without messed up formatting.

From the point-of-view of a regular user, Confluence hasn't gained a single useful feature in the last decade, but has only got slower, with valuable features taken away. It was fantastic back in 2008. Now, I'd just as soon pick Sharepoint -- yes, that's how far Confluence has fallen.

Atlassian, please, accept you were wrong, and that the motivations for the single editor (mainly xml storage of the document from what Atlassian wrote in their own documents) should not have led to this. Storage format shouldn't restrict what editor, or formatting system you can use.

Its a bit limited but I often use markup to change my size.

Head to Insert -> Markup then select Markdown and you can then change the font size by doing something like # Hello World. The more # you have in front of your text the smaller it is.

It goes all the way up to six #'s.

Most of the time I need something larger than the default # Hello World font size.  Can I make the font size larger (not smaller?)

Actually adding # just converts them to headings. So this won’t allow you to change font sizes on the same line.

Jeff Thomas Atlassian Team Oct 23, 2013

What about the HTML Macro?

It would need to be enabled by your system adminstrator.

It is not enabled at our organization. Will talk to the IT guys...

IT says that they found "how to install" HTML Macro for version 5.3. We're running version 6.

Is there no HTML Macro for version 6?

Hi Ohad,

This should help you out : https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/198044/turn-on-html-macro-in-jira-6-0

Best regards,

Peter

Hey Peter,

Thank you for your help.

I forwarded this link to the IT guys, and they have enabled it.

However, now, when trying to use it, I get the following error message:

Error rendering macro 'html' : Notify your Confluence administrator that "Bob Swift Software - HTML Plugin" requires a valid license. Reason: USER_MISMATCH

Any ideas?

Hi Ohad,

I think your IT guys installed the Bob Swift HTML plugin instead of enabling the macro that's already available in Jira 6.

Best regards,

Peter

they say they didn't install any Bob Swift HTML plugin.

THey say they just followed the instructions on:

https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/198044/turn-on-html-macro-in-jira-6-0

Will check with them...

Ohad,

I'm a bit confused, are you trying to install this into Jira or Confluence?

Because the first answer is aimed at Confluence and I gave you a link for Jira.

Just wondering.

Best regards,

Peter

My bad. I was not too clear about it...

It is Confluence (wiki).

Any different instructions?

S Irvine I'm New Here Jul 25, 2018

I can't do that since I don't have admin privileges, nor should I have to for such a basic functionality.

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Posted Monday in Confluence

Why start from scratch? Introducing four new templates for Confluence Cloud

Hi my Community friends!  For those who don't know me, I'm a product marketer on the Confluence Cloud team - nice to meet you! For those of you who do, you know that I've been all up in your Co...

468 views 6 6
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you