Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Celebration

Earn badges and make progress

You're on your way to the next level! Join the Kudos program to earn points and save your progress.

Deleted user Avatar
Deleted user

Level 1: Seed

25 / 150 points

Next: Root

1 badge earned

Collect

Participate in fun challenges

Challenges come and go, but your rewards stay with you. Do more to earn more!

Challenges
Coins

Gift kudos to your peers

What goes around comes around! Share the love by gifting kudos to your peers.

Recognition
Ribbon

Rise up in the ranks

Keep earning points to reach the top of the leaderboard. It resets every quarter so you always have a chance!

Leaderboard

Come for the products,
stay for the community

The Atlassian Community can help you and your team get more value out of Atlassian products and practices.

Atlassian Community about banner
Community Members

Community Events
Community Groups

Floating table of contents without addons

Edited

Hi

Is it possible to add a floating table of contents without any additional addons in Confluence 6.13.4 Datacentre? The HTML Macro is available, but as we're using Datacentre it's not feasible to add any additional styling addons like "Content Formatting" for this.

I'd like to use the page layout "Two column section with left-sidebar" to hold the TOC, and make it so that when scrolling down, once you reach the bottom of the TOC, the TOC doesn't continue to scroll up with the rest of the page, so it's always accessible.

Other solutions on here are either outdated or rely on addons that we can't use.

Thanks

2 answers

You can try this free macro https://marketplace.atlassian.com/1221271, it supports TOC to be scrolled as well.

does it work on Confluence Cloud?

Like # people like this
0 votes

Hello Daniel,

I’ve personally responded to a similar post about wanting a floating Table of Contents (ToC). You can accomplish what you are looking for with simple CSS modifications to Confluence. An example of this can be similar to the following:

(Place this under Space Tools > Look and Feel > Stylesheet)

.toc-macro {
float: right;
position: fixed;
width: 250px;
right: 0px;
top: 170px;
background: rgba(229, 232, 232, 0.80);
border: 1px solid #0096d6;
padding: 5px;
}

You may also read through the post which covers this topic further at: Highlighting current toc item (header) while scrolling.

I hope this proves helpful in being able to float your table of contents.

Regards,
Stephen Sifers

It's part-way there, but only works with a relatively short table of contents. I'd need the TOC to be scrollable too.

I think what I should be able to do is put the TOC in a narrow left column and use the following, so that the contents scrolls with the page, but only until the end of the TOC, then it becomes sticky:

.toc-macro {  

position: -webkit-sticky;  

position: sticky;  

bottom: 0;  

}  

However, no variation of this seems to work. I think there might be a bug with "position" in Confluence Server/Datacentre

Like Sebastian likes this

Hello Daniel,

Thank you for the clarification of what you're needing along with your example your testing with.  So we can also test and confirm if this is a defect with the product, could you please send a screenshot of what you have along with the version of Confluence you're currently running?

We look forward to hearing back to help find the cause of the ignored CSS along with helping find a solution for your TOC needs.

Regards,
Stephen Sifers

Like Manpreet Sandhu likes this

Hi Stephen, Just wanted to check to see if we were able to resolve this issue from a few years back. 

If so, it would be cool to know the solution so we may all adopt it for our own floating table of contents.

Thanks in advance. 

Like # people like this

Suggest an answer

TAGS

Atlassian Community Events