Floating Button on Confluence Pages

rukshana.akhter February 22, 2019

This seems to have been asked a few times in these pages, but I haven't found a solution that worked for me. I have editing rights in some of the spaces on Confluence and write content here (mostly procedure manuals). I am looking for a floating button macro (or a workaround) so that the Table of Contacts can be accessed from anywhere within the Confluence article since these procedure manuals tend to be quite long. I am not a superadmin and have no coding background. Appreciate ideas!

1 answer

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Jared Brenner
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 22, 2019

Hi Rukshana,

It sounds like you're trying to create a "sticky" element.  Here's how I was able to do that in Confluence Server:

1. I added a Div macro and set the ID to "sticktotop".  Inside that Div macro I set a Table of Contents macro embedded within a Panel.
  2. I added a CSS Stylesheet macro to dictate the properties of the Div macro.  It contains the code below.  The z-index value is set high to ensure it stays on top of all other elements.
#sticktotop {
position: sticky;
z-index: 100;
top: 0;
}

I believe both of these macros are included in Cloud.  Hopefully this will work for you.

Good luck!

rukshana.akhter February 25, 2019

@Jared Brenner thanks so much! Since I have zero clue about CSS/HTML, it took me a while to figure out what you meant. But after fiddling around with it for a while on w3schools, I got it. I used the below for my purpose:

Placed a Div macro after the 'Table of Contents' ends. Within the Div macro I used the CSS Style:

position: sticky; height: 50px; padding: 12.5px; box-sizing: border-box; background-color: rgba(176,224,230,0.9); z-index: 100; top: 0

I wrote the text "Go back to Table of Contents" within the panel of the Div macro and linked it to an anchor near the ToC. It works beautifully! Learned something today! Thanks so much!!! :D

Like # people like this
Jared Brenner
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 26, 2019

That's great!  I'm glad you were able to implement it.  If you could mark the question as Solved that'll help other users looking for information about this.

Like # people like this
Shihong Khor September 4, 2019

Is there a solution for Confluence Cloud? 

I would very much like to know.

Like # people like this
Gonchik Tsymzhitov
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 30, 2019

Interesting, how to do that on Server side :)

Addie Hutchins January 25, 2022

Is there a way to do this in confluence cloud since cloud doesn't allow CSS anymore. (For any developers at confluence FOR THE LOVE OF GOD PLEASE BRING BACK CSS. Thank you)

Like # people like this
Sebastian Zander December 28, 2022

@Addie Hutchins : Have you found out anything? It´s really frustrating not be able to have a floating button. :(

rukshana.akhter December 28, 2022

Hi @Sebastian Zander

please look at my comment under Jared Brenner above. I used his solution and it worked :) Good luck!

Sebastian Zander December 29, 2022

Hi @rukshana.akhter

Is this possible with Confluence Cloud?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events