Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fixing table column and row size

Nate Robinson December 20, 2018

With the revised editor, I am no longer able to maintain control over table column widths. Edits I make in the editor are automatically resized when I publish a page — and in seemingly arbitrary ways that make reading the content in a table needlessly frustrating.

Is there a way to either:

1. Set a column's width and prevent the page from adjusting it when publishing
  2. Revert to the old editor until this functionality is replaced

1 answer

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new answers.

Post a new question

0 votes
Stephen Sifers
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 24, 2018

Hello Nate and welcome to the Community!

The new editor in Confluence is designed to make it easier to create content faster. With this said, it is a change from the old editor, along with having to know where certain features have moved within the menus. You’re still able to adjust your table to width you design, by default now tables are created as Responsive tables which will automatically adjust their size based on entered test. Is you wish to set your table to a Fixed width, then see the following:

Edit your table

To make changes to your table, click inside any of the cells. This will cause the table tools to appear in the toolbar.

Here's a summary of the table tools:

image.png

Column width modes

• Responsive – The table will expand as you add content, and you can drag to resize the columns. It'll also resize itself to fit the page-viewer's window size (within reason).
  • Fixed width – Drag column borders to set width. Columns appear at your set size, regardless of content and window size.

Source Document: Add formatting to your page

I hope this helps with formatting your page and ensuring your content is designed the way you want it displayed.

Regards,
Stephen Sifers

Nate Robinson January 2, 2019

That's true for the old editor, but not the new. I am no longer able to set a fixed width for table columns in the new editor.

Per the new instructions (https://confluence.atlassian.com/confcloud/confluence-editing-improvements-945107733.html), I should use full-width settings, but that doesn't cement the column widths.

Any suggestions?

Stephen Sifers
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 7, 2019

Hello again Nate,

There are a few reported bugs with the new editor. Those bugs may relate to the issue you’re experiencing with the table not respecting your set width.

1. CONFCLOUD-65284
  2. CONFCLOUD-65142

We would suggest you vote and watch those bug requests to receive updates.

Additionally, you may want to review the marketplace to find options for allowing for more customization for content within Confluence. You may find a pre-filled search here for the Atlassian Marketplace.

The new editor is being rolled out, the next scheduled date is the 19th of June for newly created pages to default to the new editor.

Regards,
Stephen Sifers

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events