Filters on table headers not working

Olivier Curti December 28, 2021

Hi,

Up today, I'm no more able to sort table entries using header filters. Looks like this feature is no more available.

Is there a recent upgrade/update that disables filtering/sorting based on table headers?

Regards

5 answers

2 votes
Katerina Kovriga _Stiltsoft_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 28, 2021

Hi @Olivier Curti ,

I've reacted to the "filters on table headers" abstract of your question - maybe you use our Table Filter and Charts for Confluence app and its Table Filter macro?

Wed 8-1.png

As you can see, our filters in the headers don't prevent the table columns to be sorted by arrows (no matter if this specific column was filtered or not).

Or do you not see the filter icons at all? Please go to the Edit mode and make sure that your table is wrapped in the Table Filter macro (directly or via the Table Toolbox macro) and the Filters display mode is set to the "Table header" option in the Filtration tab (maybe somebody was editing the page and changed these settings).

Olivier Curti December 29, 2021

Hi @Katerina Kovriga _Stiltsoft_ ,

Thanks a mill for your prompt answer!

Actually, it works fine for regular tables -I mean, when you create a table on a Confluence page and fill it with your own data.

I only face this issue while trying to sort entries within a table generated using Page Properties Report macro. I'm unable to sort entries by clicking on generated table heading.

Apologies, I didn't mention that point in my initial post.

I don't now if this could be due to the fact that these entries aren't "raw values"? Is there maybe an existing workaround?

Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 29, 2021

A workaround is to sort your result table within the Page Properties Report macro (there is a Sort by field in the macro settings) or wrap your table into our Table Filter macro (the sorting will be available but the app is a paid one).

1 vote
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 9, 2022

Hi there,

As this Community question mentions our Table Filter and Charts for Confluence app, we are happy to introduce its new macro – Table Spreadsheet.

The macro allows you to work with fully functional Excel spreadsheets right in Confluence.

You’ll be able to use cells’ formulas, filters, conditional formatting, etc., create pivot tables and charts from the page view and edit mode.

The Table Spreadsheet macro is available for Cloud and Server/Data Center.

1 vote
Bill Bailey
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 28, 2021

Are you talking about the ability to sort by clicking on a table heading? Are you seeing this with all tables?

I know that if you have tables with two or more cells merged together vertically, the sort function will no longer work.

Hi @Bill Bailey

Yes, that's what I talk about!

In fact, I only throw this issue while trying to sort entries within a table generated with the Page Properties Report macro. I'm unable to sort entries by clicking on the table heading.

Otherwise, it works fine for other tables.

Thanks a lot for your advices about tables with merged cells, I wasn't aware about that before

Bill Bailey
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 29, 2021

Yeah, that is a different question all together. ;-) That macro works differently than a native table. I think @Katerina Kovriga _Stiltsoft_  has given some good suggestions.

0 votes
Marquita Pruitt October 14, 2022

Specifically regarding "view mode" for other users, not "edit mode":

Sorting is likely not working due to having merged some cells.

The table macro works on *filtering* even if there are merged cells, but the Confluence table out-of-the-box (whether you paste it into the macro or not), will not support *sorting* if there are any merged cells.  

You will need to go into "edit mode" and unmerged the cells.  Preview or Publish the page to see the sort function return to the headers.

0 votes
Mykenna Cepek
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 28, 2021

I just checked in our Jira Cloud, and it seems ok. A previously created table sorts ok. I also created a new table, and after saving it sorted ok.

Note that the column sorting is NOT enabled while you are editing a page. Either save the page or preview it while editing.

You might also try editing any page which is misbehaving, and look at the bottom of the page for a note about the page "using the old editor" and/or "This page can be converted to the new editor". In that case you can click the "Preview page" button to convert the page and review the updates. Then you can save the updated page.

Pages using the old editor might include features that no longer are supported. Maybe old tables don't sort anymore?

Tip: I like to clone the browser tab BEFORE clicking the "Preview page" button, so I can easily compare the old and new pages.

If none of this helps, consider submitting a Support Request.

Hi @Mykenna Cepek ,

Thanks a lot for your help and your advices!

In fact everything works fine for standard tables, I only got this problem while trying to sort/order entries (by clicking on table headings) within a table generated using the Page Properties Report macro.

Apologies, I didn't mention that point in my initial post.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events