Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Failed to upload PDF files

alex.chan April 19, 2018

I was trying to upload files to a File List, .XLSX files were uploaded without problem, however, whenever I try to upload .PDF files, it always failed.

Error message: Invalid response received from the server.

4 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Adam Brokes
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 19, 2018

Hi Alex,

I've tried to reproduce this on Confluence 6.9 and in Confluence Cloud with several different PDF files but I wasn't able to see the error that you got in your instance. I was able to upload the files without any issues and display them afterward. Can you please provide additional information?

Did you follow this documentation: Cloud documentation or Server documentation?

What is your Confluence platform/version and what is the size of the files you are trying to upload?

Thank you,

Adam

Renan Battaglin
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 19, 2018

Hi Alex, you may also want to check if the problem has anything to do with the size limits the instance administrator may have configured for attachment uploads.

Also, if this is a Server instance, the admin would be able to see what other messages are logged in the log file when you try to upload the PDF.

Cheers,

Renan

alex.chan April 20, 2018

OK, thanks for the hint.

I found out the file size limit is from nginx which is sitting in front of Confluence.

It works now.

0 votes
Jerome McHugh February 28, 2020

If behind an NGINX proxy server

In the configuration file in /etc/nginx/sites-enabled directory for the appropriate config file in the server section, add or update the client_max_body_size directive using an appropriate maximum size such as 100M to limit uploads to a maximum size of 100 Megabytes. The default when not explicitly specified is 1M

client_max_body_size 100M

server { 
listen 443 ssl;
server_name your_site.net;
client_max_body_size 100M;
0 votes
alex.chan April 20, 2018

Confluence version is 6.8.1

As I've checked the setting, which is the default value:

Attachment Settings

Attachment Maximum Size: 100.00 MB

Allows you to set the maximum size for each attachment uploaded to the site.

Maximum Attachments per Upload: 5

0 votes
Sarah
Atlassian Team
April 19, 2018

Hi Alex,

Can you provide some information on what version of Confluence you are using? Is it Confluence Cloud or Confluence Server? Where does the error occur on the page?

Cheers,

Ben

alex.chan April 20, 2018

I found out it's a size limit problem with nginx which is sitting in front of Confluence.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events