Failed to create a location and file for the PDF export.

saehui ju January 17, 2021

Cannot export PDF.
I guess confluence can't create a folder directory.

What can I do?

Caused by: com.atlassian.confluence.importexport.ImportExportException: Failed to create a location and file for the PDF export.
	at com.atlassian.confluence.extra.flyingpdf.FlyingSaucerXmlToPdfConverter.convertXhtmlToPdf(FlyingSaucerXmlToPdfConverter.java:62)
	at com.atlassian.confluence.extra.flyingpdf.FlyingSaucerXmlToPdfConverter.convertXhtmlToPdf(FlyingSaucerXmlToPdfConverter.java:52)
	at com.atlassian.confluence.extra.flyingpdf.InternalPdfExporterService.doCreatePdfForPage(InternalPdfExporterService.java:110)
	at com.atlassian.confluence.extra.flyingpdf.InternalPdfExporterService.createPdfForPage(InternalPdfExporterService.java:78)
	at com.atlassian.confluence.extra.flyingpdf.DelegatingPdfExporterService.createPdfForPage(DelegatingPdfExporterService.java:61)
	at com.atlassian.confluence.extra.flyingpdf.DiagnosticPdfExporterService.createPdfForPage(DiagnosticPdfExporterService.java:74)
	at com.atlassian.confluence.extra.flyingpdf.ExportPageAsPdfAction.doExecute(ExportPageAsPdfAction.java:32)
	... 383 more

Caused by: java.io.IOException: Couldn't create export directory /confluence_home/temp/pdfexport-20210118-180121-1444-47 at com.atlassian.confluence.importexport.impl.ConfluenceTempDirExportFileNameGenerator.createExportDirectory(ConfluenceTempDirExportFileNameGenerator.java:64) at com.atlassian.confluence.importexport.impl.ConfluenceTempDirExportFileNameGenerator.getExportFile(ConfluenceTempDirExportFileNameGenerator.java:95) at com.atlassian.confluence.extra.flyingpdf.FlyingSaucerXmlToPdfConverter.convertXhtmlToPdf(FlyingSaucerXmlToPdfConverter.java:60) ... 389 more

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 18, 2021

I'm going to assume you mis-tagged this with Cloud and you are on server (as you would not see this sort of error on Cloud)

It is what it says it is - the Confluence server process is running as a user who does not have full write access to /confluence_home/temp on the server.

You'll need to have the server administrators correct the permissions.

Dan Crosby February 9, 2023

I'm presently having this issue on the cloud version when exporting pages that contain any embedded screen prints.

Like Ivan Mizzi likes this
Jim Ballowe February 21, 2023

I am having the same issue repeatedly and use the cloud version, as well.

Like # people like this
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 22, 2023

Cloud can't give you this error message, it doesn't have the file storage setup that server/DC does.

Could you tell us exactly what error you get?

Jim Ballowe February 23, 2023

Sorry, but cloud DID give me this error message repeatedly. We have NEVER had on-premise Atlassian. I wasn't able to export the document at all - the "Time Elapsed" just kept counting up and the download never completed, error was "Failed to create a location and file for the PDF export."

Found this page by searching for that error message - cam across this first:

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/CONFSERVER-58288

When I saw that was for an on-prem server I came to this page and made my comment.

Like # people like this
JONATHAN BOHLMANN March 16, 2023

Ditto what Jim said.  WE are also on Cloud and get the same errorCapture.JPG

Like # people like this
Like # people like this
Basavaraj Sangote April 24, 2023

Hi @JONATHAN BOHLMANN ,

I am also facing same issue,

Did you got any solution for this?

If yes please reply

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 24, 2023

We still have not got the error report that we need to be able to debug this.

I say "we", meaning the Community, we can't debug from these posts, it's something that *really* needs to go to Atlassian.  (I have tried to ping it up to them)

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events