Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Extra vertical scroll bar with Include Page and Excerpt macros

Etelle Shur April 9, 2023

Every time I use an Include Page, Excerpt, or Excerpt Include macro, the content within that macro gets its own vertical scroll bar. This scroll bar is completely non-functional, as it runs the length of the entire content. Is this supposed to happen? Is there any way to get rid of it? I want the content within the Include Page and Excerpt macros to look like it's native to the page it's displayed on.

3 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Marcel E_ August 23, 2023
0 votes
David Bean
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
October 27, 2023

The solution is for Atlassian product managers and support leadership to look at issues like this that mess with high visibility aesthetics and layout and presentation of information, in a product that's intended primarily to present information, and then assess the level of development effort required to fix it -- 10 min? 12? -- and the fact that it's SO obvious it SHOULD be caught in QA, and conclude that it should be fixed right now.  I mean, this kind of thing is brand-affecting.

0 votes
Alex Koxaras _Relational_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 10, 2023

Hi @Etelle Shur and welcome to the community,

I can't seem to reproduce your problem. Can you please describe your steps? E.g. Is the included content quite big? If yes, how big? For example, I've included a page containing 10 paragraphs of lorem ipsum, and no scroll bar appeared.

Etelle Shur April 10, 2023

The page I'm including is equal to about 7 paragraphs of lorem ipsum. It's a how-to article, so it includes a numbered list with some short paragraphs and a few images. Confluence rates it as a 2 minute read. I've also created a testing page with 1 paragraph of lorem ipsum that also gets a scroll bar

Screenshot 2023-04-10 at 9.57.12 AM.png

Include Page scroll bar steps to reproduce:

1. Create page with content to be included
  2. Create page where content will be included
  3. On second page, use Include Page macro and choose the page from step 1.
  4. Publish

Note: I get a vertical scroll bar whether the second page has other content on it or not.

Excerpt scroll bar steps to reproduce:

1. Insert an Excerpt macro on a page. Copy and paste OR type content into the Excerpt macro.
  2. Publish

A vertical scroll bar appears next to the content in the excerpt macro, even when the content is only one line

Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 10, 2023

@Etelle Shur this is not how include page works. This shouldn't happen. Can you please try from another browser and/or clear your browser's cache and cookies? Do you have any extension enabled in your browser? Are any other of your colleagues experiencing that?

Etelle Shur April 11, 2023

@Alex Koxaras _Relational_It seems it could be browser-related. The scroll bars don't show when viewing the page in Chrome, but both my colleague and I see the scroll bars in Firefox.

In Firefox, I've tried disabling all extensions, clearing my cache and cookies, and restarting the browser.

Community Leader
Community Leader
April 11, 2023

Hi @Etelle Shur 

I have replicated the behavior you said, based on your saying. So yes, it appears that the vertical scroll bar appears only (at least) on firefox. I couldn't find any raised bug on jira.atlassian. In this case I would suggest to raise a request to Atlassian about this bug, so they can address this issue, if it gather a lot of interest from users. 

Like Johnny Huang likes this
Johnny Huang May 8, 2023

I have the same problem (in Firefox).  Can this please be addressed Atlassian?  it's looking quite ugly atm.

Community Leader
Community Leader
May 9, 2023

@Johnny Huang welcome to the community,

You can raise a bug request to Atlassian at https://support.atlassian.com/contact

Marcel E_ August 22, 2023

Same problem here (with firefox), raised a bug request today

Like # people like this

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders