Extra lines between expandable text boxes

Eric Boivin November 13, 2017

Hi all

I have a confluence page where I report progress per week. I use expandable text boxes for each week. I found a "glitch" that I cannot fix.

Sometimes, I see one or two extra lines between my expandable texts and I cannot delete these lines. It looks like this:

> Week 1
> Week 2

>Week 3

> Week 4
> Week 5

Any ideas how to fix this (or at least see what is causing this)?

Thanks

4 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Ryan Cunico July 10, 2018

I figured it out - you do have to use the source editor.  

You will see 

"<p>

<br/>"

between those expandable sections with the extra spacing.

change the "<p>" to  "<p class="auto-cursor-target">" and it will fix the spacing issues!!

Eric Boivin July 11, 2018

Hi Ryan

Thanks for the information. I will pass that on to our administrators and ask them to install Source Editor.

It sounds like this is going to work for me too.

BR
Eric Boivin

Eric Boivin July 12, 2018

I confirm that Ryan's solution works perfectly! (at least for me)

Cheers
Eric

Like Nilufer Saltuk likes this
Nilufer Saltuk September 13, 2019

It worked for me too. Thank you!

3 votes
Philipp Gerlach February 18, 2020

I found a workaround without the source editor: 

Use the mouse to drag and drop the expandable text blocks close together. After you drop a text block immediately below the prevoius one, Confluence will insert a new break between the two again, but this is the "right" type of break which does not show as an empty line in vew mode. 

If you do this consistently for all your text blocks, your old "wrong" breaks will end up all at the end of the page and can be deleted there. 

Hope that helps (until atlassian finally condescends to fix this bug...)

Peter_Nikolakopoulos February 25, 2020

This works, and is simple and easy! Thank you!

0 votes
AnnWorley
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 17, 2017

If you are a Confluence administrator on a downloaded server you can add the Confluence Source Editor for free using the Confluence Admin>Manage Add-ons page.

There is also a paid add-on compatible with both server and Cloud: Source Editor for Confluence

I am curious whether the behavior you describe (extra lines between expand macros) is happening in multiple browsers or if it looks different depending on browser?

Eric Boivin November 17, 2017

Hi Ann

I don't have admin rights on the server (I'm only a user).

I've tried with Chrome, IE11 and Firefox and all three display the same extra lines.

BR

AnnWorley
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 17, 2017

Please paste the storage format of an example/test page that is displaying the extra lines into a code block on this thread. To get the storage format, please go to the page tools menu (... on most versions) and choose View Storage Format:

Screen Shot 2017-11-17 at 3.30.19 PM.png

Eric Boivin November 18, 2017

Hi Ann

I do not have the View Storage Format option (only view source which does not give any info).
Confluence.JPG

Robert Reiner _smartics_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 19, 2017

If the action is only removed from the menu, you may use the following URL pattern to access this information with a HTTP client:

https://my-server/confluence/plugins/viewstorage/viewpagestorage.action?pageId=1234567

Replace the "my-server/confluence" and page ID with your information. But probably the service has been remove by the administrators so that you cannot call it with this URL.

Another option would be to use the Confluence REST API.

https://my-server/confluence/rest/api/content/1234567?expand=body.storage

Again you would need to replace the "my-server/confluence" and page ID.

But this probably would require some extra privileges and finding out what went wrong (and then using the REST API to write the document back) is probably too cumbersome if you can live with the extra spaces anyway.

I would recommend to ask the administrators to install the Confluence Source Editor (which is a handy tool in many situations).

0 votes
Robert Reiner _smartics_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 13, 2017

If you cannot get rid of the extra markup in the editor you may try the Confluence Source Editor (if you are on Confluence server).

Eric Boivin November 16, 2017

Unfortunately, I do not have access to the Confluence server itself.

It's not a major problem for me, it's just "visually annoying". :)

Eric Boivin November 16, 2017

Unfortunately, I do not have access to the Confluence server itself.

It's not a major problem for me, it's just "visually annoying". :)

if you have other options, let me know.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events