External user access to confluence space

bee February 23, 2020

Hi, 

I'm new to Confluence and have a basic question....

i would like to grant someone external to my company access to my project space. There are other project spaces that I do not want him to see. 

From what i read, I need to first create him as a user via setting > User management. Once I have done that, how do i restrict him to only see my project space ? 

thank you in advance for assistance. 

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Bastian Stehmann
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 23, 2020

Hi @bee ,

Welcome to the community. 

Yes, that's right. You just have to create him an user account and then you have to check the space permissions. 

It depends on how you granted the permissions to the other spaces. If you are using groups, make sure the external user is not in that groups. 

If you only grant the permissions to single users, you don't have a problem at all.

Additionally, you have to grant the user permission to at least view that single space. 

bee February 23, 2020

hi @Bastian Stehmann , 

i don't own the other project spaces, but on the space that i created and owned, I can see 2 groups : confluence-users and confluence-administrator, plus a few internal users which i added manually. 

how do i make sure he is not in those groups after i have created him an account ? 

Bastian Stehmann
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 23, 2020

Ok, that will make it probably a bit more complicated. 

The confluence-users group is usually added to all users automatically and if it is used in your space, it will be in others probably too.

So might want to create a confluence-users-external group or something like that. Then you edit the groups after you created the users and change it to confluence-users-external.

Then the user should have that single group.

Then you can grant that single user the access to your space and additional you will probably have yo give the -externsl group application access.

bee February 23, 2020

Thanks so much @Bastian Stehmann . 

i am not able to see "User Management" under setting even though i have been told I'm Confluence Administrator, am i missing something or I am looking at the wrong place for adding the external user /adding a new group ? or i need to be a site administrator to add user ? 

apology for so many puzzles to unpack. 

Bastian Stehmann
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 24, 2020

I'm not absolutely sure about that, but I think you have to be an site admin to add a user.

Like Jessie Valliant likes this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events