Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

External Documentation

Abel Barreira December 10, 2020

Hello,

I'm wondering if possible to use Confluence as a kind of simple documentation data base in which we may upload external documents (as PDFs, manuals, etc) with some fields like version, revision, label, description etc.  which generate an unique reference or ID for each one.

If not possible to upload the document, it is enough if it just stores the local path where the document is placed in our system but provide the URL link to it.

The idea is to solve two main things:

* Have a common place where we can easily find/search the documents related with the project, and a easy why to update/change/remove them.

* Have unique references to each document so it can be referenced from other places.

Thank you so much.

Best regards,

Abel.

2 answers

0 votes
Aron Gombas _Midori_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 12, 2020

I think you could use the built-in page attachments feature as a simple approach, because:

1. Attachments have unique IDs.
  2. They are versioned by Confluence. (If you want to use your own revision identifiers, you can enter those to the "description" field of the attachment.)
  3. You can label those.
  4. You can add descriptions to those.
  5. You can use the Attachments macro to render a table about the attachments. It would give this a "database" feel, while the owner page allows to group the related documents.

Something like this:

Attachments_macro052

0 votes
Matt Reiner _K15t_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
December 11, 2020

Hi @Abel Barreira

I'm curious if you'd be able to keep the content of the documents in Confluence directly, rather than in separate documents. This would make it much easier to search and navigate. You could even use apps to create a full help center, like ours: https://help.k15t.com/

To give you an idea what could be done, my team made this guide with best practices for writing documentation in Confluence. Maybe it will be helpful to you.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events