Exporting PDF's how can I minimized load on Confluence server

Jaime Romaguera May 19, 2014

Hi,

When mutliple users export spaces to PDF. It cause high load on our Confluence server. Example we have a 4 core CPU server, if I one user exports a PDF use 25% of our CPU/s. So we get 4 users roughly exporting a Space to PDF rougly at the same time it can use up all our cpu resources. I wondering if anybody have any solution to minizied this issue.

My plan is too disable the PDF Export Plugin. Somehow schedule PDF export to be enable after hours and use the conflunence cli to export the PDF for the client after hours.

Wondering if has been able to make a plugin to be turn on or off by a scheduler or have other another suggestion.

Thanks

Regards

Jaime

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Guilherme Nedel [Atlassian]
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 19, 2014

Hello Jaime, you can disable the component during the day, and trigger the exports remotely using Confluence Command Line Interface exportSpace with --exportType PDF and a job scheduler.

As for re-enabling the component I believe that is not possible with the current API, you may need to perform that part of the task manually.

0 votes
Rodrigo Girardi Adami
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 19, 2014

Hi Jaime,

This is a known performance problem for PDF and XML export for entire spaces or instances, which is tracked in this bug unfortunately not fixed yet:

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/CONF-19815

As you can see here, the XML and PDF export demands much memory from the application and processing power.

The only workaround that I know for this is to allocate more memory to the application, however even though, this might not be sufficient and may still be a performance problem.

regards,

Rodrigo

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events