Export to word

Hugh September 4, 2017

Hi All,

I'm trying to export a document to word from my wiki. It's a word doc that I imported.

The formatting isn't quite right - For instance, the table at the beginning of the document is ignored, but the contents of that table is available in the exported version. However this same table was correctly imported into the wiki, and is displayed as expected within the tool.

When importing word documents, do I need to pay attention to the formatting of the originial to ensure it is displayed correctly once it is re-exported?

Thanks,

Hugh

1 answer

0 votes
Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 4, 2017

Hi Hugh,

you can't expect an first imported then exported Word doc to look the same as before.

We import old word documents just to have their content in Confluence. Importing a word doc works quite good. And answering your question: you can't influence the import. Just have a look after importing the doc and make some slight corrections if necessary. 

But we never export a Confluence page back to word. Maybe pdf, for external usage, but not word. It does not look the same as in Confluence (and therefore not the same as the document you've imported). PDF export instead looks fine. Did you try that already?

Hugh September 4, 2017

Hi Thomas,

Yes, I tried to export to PDF and while it looks a bit better, there are a number of formatting issues.

For example, tables inside of tables do not seem to be correctly recognized, and so Jira splits them into two separate tables.  

I need to have the files exported for internal processes, so it's a pretty important feature for me.

Thanks,

Hugh

Eric Franklin September 5, 2017

Hey Hugh,

I know there are quite a few word export issues and feature requests floating around in Atlassian's JIRA and some do revolve around table formatting issues when exporting. I found the following dealing with embedded images in tables and it could be linked to the same root cause:

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/CONFSERVER-34385

Another similar table formatting bug can be found here:

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/CONFSERVER-39967

I would recommend reaching out to Atlassian support (you might want to reference these bugs) and see if they have a specific bug related to this or can reproduce it on their end (if so, they can report a new bug if it does end up being one). Hope this helps.

-Stephen "Eric" Franklin

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events