Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Export of space to PDF has grown substantially

Jeremy Hranko November 5, 2020

Prior to today, I last exported a space which contains about 1,500 pages in November, 2018. At that time the total size of the PDF export was 5.5MB.

Today, I tried to export the same space to PDF and the resulting PDF output was 1.4GB. Nothing substantially has changed in this space in the past two year, a few dozen page creations, but nothing that would explain such an astronomical increase in size.

The pages are almost heavily text-based, very few images, and are all based in the "old" editor. Each does contain a few macros (e.g. "info", "code block") available in the old editor. 

What could explain this growth? How can I get it down to a size that I can actually distribute again?

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Brant Schroeder
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 6, 2020

Jeremy,

As Pavel stated this is a known issue that Atlassian is trying to gather the impact on.  I would encourage you to vote on the following issues to help them know what to move forward.

Once the PDF is created you can compress is.  You can use Acrobat (If you own it) or a free online compression tool like Small PDF. I know that it is an extra step and not an ideal solution but it is a work around for the time being.

Jeremy Hranko November 9, 2020

Thank you for your direction to the documentation of these issues. I've found the equivalent issues for the Cloud version and upvoted those.

I do have a full copy of Acrobat and had already thought to do the compression as you have suggested, but the file is so big that the application freezes when I try to do much with it. I'll try it again on a more powerful computer. 

0 votes
Pavel Potcheptsov
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 6, 2020

Nobody at Atlassian care about that.

Look here and here.

Instead of fixing this and many others REAL bugs and feature requests they continue to release versions with useless features.

Hope you are satisfying with that kind of service)

Jeremy Hranko November 9, 2020

Thank you for the links. I'm all too familiar with the way Atlassian prioritizes their resources but thought I'd ask the question anyway. 

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events