Export functionality is useless

Simon Clark October 8, 2021

I have recently created two templates for use in my organisation, replacing previous Word templates.  Everything worked just fine and users adopted them, but then I was told they need to export the page to Word or PDF...and what an absolute mess.  Neither work as they should.  Word export goes to .mhtml for some reason I cannot understand, and PDF export is hopeless.

I am not allowed to install add-ons so please don't suggest Scroll-PDF or some other commercial add-in.  I cannot give remote third parties access to our Confluence.

We are going to have to abandon Confluence completely if this cannot be fixed.

What have other users done?

2 answers

1 accepted

4 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 8, 2021

When we've run into export problems before, we've usually found it's down to complex (usually broken) formatting or apps providing macros that do not play nice with the exports.

That said, I don't find the default exports very pretty, but I don't tend to use them, as most of my Confluence work is intended to remain dynamic and active as a Confluence page.

If you could tell us what is going wrong, we may be able to help you fix it (or at least explain where Confluence is defaulting to ugly because it's not coded for nice)

As a point in there you mention the doc type for word.  Export to word will always provide a .doc file to your browser, so it's your browser doing something to rename the file (mine always says "download as the .doc provided or would you like a different file name)

Edward Hang March 2, 2022

Hi, I am bit late to the party however, can you tell me whether there were any fixes planned for the below ?

Can I set an image as the default title page for P... (atlassian.com)

0 votes
Simon Clark November 11, 2021

Sorry for my delay.  Well it seems that we are exporting to a .doc now.  I'm not overly impressed with the font used in the export - are there any options anywhere to configure that sort of thing?

Unfortunately we are creating documents that are mainly internal but need to be approved by external parties, and in some cases to their own format, so no options on design.  

Roman_Bozeman July 21, 2022

I am not sure about Word, but the CSS stylesheet works great with pdf exports.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events