Export Confluence page in native format

Peter Bunde Hansen September 21, 2017

Fellow sufferers

In my project, we have 50 Confluence pages that are the documentation for the application we are building.

At the point the system goes live, the documentation needs to be taken a snap-shot of, for the records. Currently, this is done as a PDF export. I would like to change that, so that we store it somehow as a file that can be re-imported into (possibly another) Confluence site. Possibly, even smarter, by exporting a whole node in the tree, including all the underlying pages.

How is this done?

BW Peter Bunde Hansen

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
AnnWorley
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 21, 2017

Hi Peter,

XML exports can be re-imported to Confluence. You can choose which pages to export, including child pages.

Please see: Export Content to Word, PDF, HTML and XML

1. Go to the space and choose Space tools > Content Tools from the bottom of the sidebar
  2. Choose Export
  3. Select XML, then choose Next
  4. Select Full or Custom XML export: Full Export (XML) – to produce an XML file containing all the pages in the space, including those that you do not have permission to view.
    Custom Export – if you want to export selected pages only, or if you want to exclude comments from the export.
  5. Choose Export

I look forward to hearing whether this suits your requirements.

Best Wishes,

Ann

Peter Bunde Hansen September 22, 2017

Hi Ann

Thank you, exactly the answer I needed :-)

BW Peter Bunde Hansen

8 votes
Christoffer Bromberg _K15t_ September 28, 2017

Hi Peter

Well, that approach has a few drawbacks, the most obvious is that you will not be able to import the export you created to the same Confluence that you exported it from, because the export contains the space key.

If you only need the space for reference, you can still create a new space - with a unique key -, copy the subtree that you need to that space and export that space (and then keep the space, or archive it (https://confluence.atlassian.com/doc/archive-a-space-284368719.html) or remove it). Copying a subtree is possible since Confluence 6.

If you have multiple versions of your application used by your customers - i.e. you might want to fix or improve even old versions of your documentation w./o. having to do those fixes repeatedly in all versions, then looking into Scroll Versions could be interesting (https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/com.k15t.scroll.scroll-versions/server/overview).

Disclaimer: I work for the vendor of that app.

Cheers, Christoffer

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events