Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Excerpt include makro with "excerpt name" set, does not find the excerpt in page

Henning Ortler December 14, 2021

We are using "Excerpt" makros in several pages and using "Excerpt include" works fine in any other page, as long as there is only one excerpt in the referenced page and you are not using the "Excerpt Name".

The new functionality of setting an "Excerpt Name" per excerpt should allow to include a specific excerpt, but as soon as you set the "Excerpt Name" in the "Excerpt include" makro, it doesn't find anything in the referenced page (Page Containing the Excerpt).

I don't think I am misunderstanding the documentation of the Excerpt Include:

"Allows you to identify this macro so that you can add multiple Excerpt macros to one page and use a specific one on another page using the Excerpt Include macro."

https://support.atlassian.com/confluence-cloud/docs/insert-the-excerpt-macro/

Is this a known bug and when will this be fixed?

1 answer

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 23, 2021

I think you have understood all of the docs up until the bit where it fails to be clear.

You are absolutely right that any one page can only have one working section surrounded by the excerpt macro. 

Confluence only looks at one excerpt macro on a source page.  Put more than one into a page, and it fails (it used to just complain that your page data was junk, now it lets you do it, but I don't know how the code decides which bit to read if you do use it more than once)

It is not really a "bug", it is a weak feature.  Atlassian has not implemented a decent "have many excerpts on one page" function.

This is not unexpected, the "multi-excerpt macro" app solves the problem, really well, and Atlassian tends not to build in functions that their partners are providing solutions for.

Henning Ortler January 6, 2022

Thanks for your reply. Sad to hear such a basic feature is still not available by default makros.

Like Daniel Grunwald likes this
marian ganaz June 17, 2022

What is the point to name the excerpt if by page it only accept one excerpt. We want to use mark multiple sections of a page as excerpts to be call up on other pages and that was not possible.

Looks like we  need to break down the reference document into multiple pages so we can create the excerpts.  

Like # people like this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events