Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Excerpt Include - Error rendering macro 'excerpt-include' : No link could be created for

Shawn Connelly October 3, 2019

One of my senior writers has reported a possible bug with the Confluence macro, "Excerpt Include".

The Confluence page contains about 11 Excerpt Includes, and ever x weeks (x = I don't know, maybe 2 - 3 weeks), the Excerpt includes fail to render, and instead display the following error:

Error rendering macro 'excerpt-include' : No link could be created for [page being referenced]

When editing a broken macro, one can see that Confluence Space designation is missing. Even though it was obviously there, prior to the error occurring. 

So, the editor is forced to fix each of these macros by typing part of the Confluence page name (auto complete and select).

Example:

Page Containing the Excerpt:
FY20 Mission: HR Completion  - Broken :(

DET:FY20 Mission: HR Completion   - Fixed :)

Notes:
1) The macros all break simultaneously.
2) When they break, the page history shows that no one had edited the page.
3) At first, I thought that pages with a colon (:), like the above example, might be causing the problem, but some pages have a hyphen and no colons.

5 answers

1 vote
LucyDDI February 10, 2020

In relation to Shannon's answer,

Making changes to the page hierarchy that the excerpt include page is part of seems to cause this too. I had an excerpt include on a page with many children, and moved one of its child pages (that did not have an excerpt on it) out of its hierarchy, which caused the issue described above. 

Kevin Bergman April 11, 2020

I have a similar experience. I have several of these ex-includes on a single page and they all break when I change the headings on that page. Just changing the first heading from H2 to H1 breaks all the ex-includes. Have to either restore or manually re-link the macros. 

0 votes
Arne Bachmann September 30, 2021

Same issue here, enterprise installation. Every few weeks, or when another person edits a page that I put excerpts in, all or most excerpts fail to render until I correct them, which means they get a new UID in the raw code. This is really not just a little bug, this is a complete deal-breaker, as we manage roles via @Name-excerpts.

How can this bug prevail for such a long time? I'll open an issue, if possible.

0 votes
David Fenstermacher August 4, 2021

Non-Cloud Environment

I have experienced this issue when copying the page, renaming the page and oddly enough when I change a value in the page's page properties table.

This last scenario is very frustrating as I make page properties value changes frequently. Thus, I am constantly having to edit the Excerpt Include macros all the time. I have no idea how a change in a value within a Page Properties table can affect a Excerpt Include macro link's value. Very odd.

0 votes
Wendy Emerman February 10, 2021

I am having the same error, with a brand new excerpt include, and no pages moved or copied.  I deleted and inserted the exc-incl macro multiple times, and even logged out and in again, to no avail.

0 votes
Shannon S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 7, 2019

Hello Shawn,

Thank you for contacting us about this. I believe your issue is related to this bug:

• CONFCLOUD-65349 Copying a page with the Excerpt Include macro breaks it if having specific characters

Do you happen to know if those pages were ever moved or copied in any way? 

Regards,

Shannon

Francis Miles December 17, 2021

Been biting my tongue now for a long time. I 'Assumed' that since this was raise SO long ago, it would have been resolved by now. 

Is there any desire to get this fixed? I see its 'Long Term Backlog' and 'Unresolved'

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events