It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

Excerpt Include - Error rendering macro 'excerpt-include' : No link could be created for

One of my senior writers has reported a possible bug with the Confluence macro, "Excerpt Include".

The Confluence page contains about 11 Excerpt Includes, and ever x weeks (x = I don't know, maybe 2 - 3 weeks), the Excerpt includes fail to render, and instead display the following error:

Error rendering macro 'excerpt-include' : No link could be created for [page being referenced]

When editing a broken macro, one can see that Confluence Space designation is missing. Even though it was obviously there, prior to the error occurring. 

So, the editor is forced to fix each of these macros by typing part of the Confluence page name (auto complete and select).

Example:

Page Containing the Excerpt:
FY20 Mission: HR Completion  - Broken :(

DET:FY20 Mission: HR Completion   - Fixed :)

Notes:
1) The macros all break simultaneously.
2) When they break, the page history shows that no one had edited the page.
3) At first, I thought that pages with a colon (:), like the above example, might be causing the problem, but some pages have a hyphen and no colons.

2 answers

1 vote
LucyDDI I'm New Here Feb 10, 2020

In relation to Shannon's answer,

Making changes to the page hierarchy that the excerpt include page is part of seems to cause this too. I had an excerpt include on a page with many children, and moved one of its child pages (that did not have an excerpt on it) out of its hierarchy, which caused the issue described above. 

I have a similar experience. I have several of these ex-includes on a single page and they all break when I change the headings on that page. Just changing the first heading from H2 to H1 breaks all the ex-includes. Have to either restore or manually re-link the macros. 

0 votes

Hello Shawn,

Thank you for contacting us about this. I believe your issue is related to this bug:

• CONFCLOUD-65349 Copying a page with the Excerpt Include macro breaks it if having specific characters

Do you happen to know if those pages were ever moved or copied in any way? 

Regards,

Shannon

Suggest an answer

TAGS
Community showcase
Posted in Confluence

How is your team having fun and bonding, remotely, utilizing Confluence?

Thanks everyone for answering last week’s question. The winner of the random drawing from those who commented is: @LarryBrock I’ll contact you separately with your prize details. This wee...

327 views 9 7
Join discussion

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you