Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Excel Macro

Anders Bruhn Fagerjord February 23, 2021

I have embedded an Excel spreadsheet using the Excel macro. The sheet have columns A - AU. On saving I have used "Hide" function on several columns. When displaying sheet in Confluence all columns A - AU is displayed.

Is this just not possible to achieve with the Companion App?

Kind regards Anders  

3 answers

3 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Katerina Kovriga _Stiltsoft_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 23, 2021

Hi @Anders Bruhn Fagerjord ,

I think you can't achieve this unless you use any additional apps.

For example, we can suggest trying our Table Filter and Charts for Confluence app.

The first step will be using the Table from CSV macro (supports attachments and URLs) macro to embed your Excel table onto Confluence page.

The second step is to wrap this macro into the Table Filter macro where you'll be able to hide columns, filter your table and perform calculations.

Hi @Katerina Kovriga _Stiltsoft_ 

I'll try to follow your suggestions. Thanks.

Then this is tested. In the process I found that the Table Filter macro gets embedded when you use the Office Excel Macro. 

Filtering is possible, even if its time consuming to get done. In larger projects you may add xls sheets all the time and then it gets complicated.

When using the Hide function in Table Filer, remember to click on Save in the filter drop down. 

I have added a rating of the app, trying to explain the issues. And the main issue of course is that the Office Excel Macro don't display the sheet as it is saved in Office.

Thanks for your help and I'll wait for an update of the Office Excel Macro before I embed more xls sheets. I will rather use a link to access the file, even if this is not what I really like to do. 

Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 23, 2021

Try the Table from CSV macro - if you use Google Sheets, then you'll be able to connect your sheet to Confluence via its URL

It is rather convenient because you'll be able to update you Google sheet and all the changes will be automatically reflected in Confluence.

And then you'll be able to filter/hide columns with the Table Filter macro.

Not much luck with that. Doesn't seem that macro liked the file. 

java.lang.ArrayIndexOutOfBoundsException - null Identified line separator characters in the parsed content. This may be the cause of the error. The line separator in your parser settings is set to '[lf]'.

Rising Star
Rising Star
February 23, 2021

Please, raise a support request then and attach the screenshots of your Google Sheet table and the Table from CSV macro settings. We'll try to give you some hints.

OK, I can do that. Though its not a Google Sheet. Its Excel. 

Rising Star
Rising Star
February 23, 2021

Yep, then the screenshot of your opened CSV file (so we'll check delimiters).

Rest my case. I didn't pay attention on file format. Chose a xls and not csv. Sorry. When done correctly it looks ok. 

This said I lost functionality a have in the xls with e.g. Data Validation and Conditional Formatting. 

This still don't meet my expectations I guess.

Rising Star
Rising Star
February 23, 2021

We have conditional formatting supported in the Table Transformer macro - our bundle of macros is supposed to bring Excel features into Confluence.

So you may wrap your CSV macro in the Table Transformer macro, list only that columns which you want to display and apply conditional formatting based on the Wiki Markup.

Here is an example.

I understand that it may look not so simple but Confluence (and especially Cloud editor) has its limitations which we try to overcome with our app.

0 votes
Answer accepted
Oki__PolarisOffice_
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 23, 2021

@Anders Bruhn Fagerjord I would like to recommend Polaris spreadsheet for Confluence. It enables you to edit an excel file in a confluence page without any conversion. It also offers the advance view mode that supports filter, freeze pannel, search and etc. 

Please check how to insert your excel files in confluence pages. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OELp_2G62oI 

0 votes
Answer accepted
Shardul Juyal {Addteq}
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
February 23, 2021

Hi @Anders Bruhn Fagerjord 

While the feature is not available in the companion app, You can try our Excellentable spreadsheet. 
With Excellentable you can import a .xlsx with hidden rows/columns or just hide rows/columns on the fly.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events