Error while importing Word documents

Sumit Sharma November 9, 2021

Hi Team,

I have hundreds of use cases in Word files (.docx) uploaded as attachments to my organization's Confluence (server, 7.4.1) that I need to import as pages in our Confluence. Each one has a table with two columns and several rows spanning 3-4 pages or more containing some text content and in some places screenshots. The file sizes are in the region of 3 MB - 10 MB. When I use the 'Import Word Document' option, I get the following error:
"The uncompressed size of your file is too large to import. You'll need to reduce the file to 20MB or less."

Does anyone have a solution? Many thanks in advance for any help.

Thanks,

Sumit

1 answer

0 votes
Kishan Sharma
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 9, 2021

Hi @Sumit Sharma I think you might have been affected by this bug

You can try increasing below system property in setenv.sh file and see if that helps.
CATALINA_OPTS="-Dconfluence.word.import.maxsize=30"

Kishan Sharma
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 2, 2022

Hi @Sumit Sharma 

Just wanted to check if you were able to resolve this. I had a similar issue on one of my instance, I was able to work around it by saving the document as "Word 97 2003 Document" and import it, which was then successful.

Sumit Sharma March 3, 2022

Thanks, Kishan. I tried converting one of the documents to Word 97 - 2003 document as per your suggestion. It dramatically changed the file size from 3 MB to 65 MB and threw an error (413 Request Entity Too Large).

Kishan Sharma
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 3, 2022

Ah that's weird. I believe setting up the configuration in setenv.sh should be the way to go here.

Sumit Sharma March 3, 2022

I worked with my OPS team again today to ensure the property was set as required in the setenv.sh file. Still no luck.

Kishan Sharma
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 3, 2022

Hm ok, I would advise to raising a support ticket with Atlassian Support for further help on this. If you do and get a solution, please also post here it will help others facing similar issue.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events