Error when launching login page after xml migration

Idelso Quintero December 7, 2015

We completed the migration of our Confluence instance to a new server. We exported the confluence xml and successfully loaded it onto the new instance (on CentOS and MySQL).

After completing the import process through the Setup Wizard, when trying to launch and go to the Login page, we get the following error:

org.apache.velocity.exception.MethodInvocationException: Invocation of method 'isShowSignUp' in class com.atlassian.confluence.user.actions.LoginAction threw exception java.lang.NullPointerException: Application cannot be null at /login.vm[line 6, column 28]
    at org.apache.velocity.runtime.parser.node.ASTMethod.handleInvocationException(ASTMethod.java:337)

caused by: java.lang.NullPointerException: Application cannot be null
    at com.google.common.base.Preconditions.checkNotNull(Preconditions.java:204)

As a note, it is worth to mention that the original instance was integrated with Crowd, but the new instance/server will not. I am not sure if that may be related to this error, but it is another variable to consider

I am new to the administration aspect of Confluence, so I will appreciate if someone could please steer me in the right direction to find the cause of the problem.

Thanking you for your help.

-Idelso

3 answers

0 votes
Ivan Rossier April 16, 2021

Got the same error when upgrading to Confluence 7.4.6 => backup was incomplete compared to previous ones:

Following block was missing in XML file:

<collection name="directoryMappings" ...

With a new backup, XML import action was still blocked at 90% (due to ERROR [Long running task: Importing data]), but looking at logs, import was successful.

0 votes
Bruno Raymundo
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 8, 2015

Hi Idelso,

It could be the case that, since you used Crowd before, the internal directory is not working after the upgrade. You could try the following article:

Unable to log in due to disabled Internal Directory (Confluence 3.5 and later)

Regards,

Bruno

Edwin Dyer April 26, 2019

Yea, that didn't work either in our case. 

Matthew macias May 8, 2019

Did you ever resolve this issue?  Getting the same error Moving from a vanilla confluence server on VMware to a new vanilla server on Nutanix VM.  It is the exact same error and the recommended fixes above did not work for me either.

Edwin Dyer May 8, 2019

Our Confluence database was PostgreSQL 9.2 and when we migrated the data, it was to PostgreSQL 11.2. As I mentioned before, I tried to input the missing data but that failed. We were considering installing the older PostgreSQL version (you can run multiple instances, just need to configure ports for them) to continue with our upgrading but I decided perhaps there was an issue with the backup. So, I created another backup (leaving the defaults and not touching anything else in the PostgreSQL Admin console when it came to the backup creation), installed it in the new PostgreSQL and it worked. There were some depreciation (mainly not being UTF-8) errors but Confluence allowed start-up to continue.

Matthew macias May 8, 2019

Thanks!  I will give that a try, I was doing the backup from confluence itself.

Edwin Dyer May 8, 2019

Yea, we didn't use the XML backup of Confluence. Since the majority of the data resided in the PostgreSQL database, that is what we backed up and then we "robocopied" (i.e. manually transferred) other parts of Confluence into the new installation (such as the add-on folder, attachments, images, etc.).

Like ICT Team likes this
0 votes
Guilherme V.
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 8, 2015

Hey there,

It looks like you have some Null value or a misleading information in your cwd_app_dir_mapping table. Check this documentation of how to fix that.

Hope this will help you smile.

Cheers, 

Deleted user March 12, 2018

Had the same Issue but the Resolution didn't work.

Like # people like this
Edwin Dyer April 26, 2019

We even tried adding in the data (it exists in our production database) into the new PostgreSQL database (where it was missing) but it still fails with the same error.

Like Mark de Bont [Terberg] likes this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events