Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error saving document in Confluence

Jenny Lee January 7, 2019

Hi,

On January 2, I edited a document that was shared in Confluence. The last time the document was edited before that was December 20. We all went on holiday after that, and when I came back to check on the document, I was only able to see the edits that were made on December 20, with no traces of any edits being made on January 2. There were no drafts or unsaved changes on my account either. My colleague was also looking at the document at the same time as me on January 2, so I know I'm looking at the correct document that should have had the changes. Any idea what happened here?

Thanks,

Jenny

2 answers

0 votes
Sireesha Dugginapeddi [Appfire]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 9, 2019

In that case, I think one of the following seems like a possible reason why you don't see the changes:

• Your Confluence instance is corrupted in some way and unfortunately there is no way to know how since you did not encounter any error message for you to identify what it can be.
  • Your internet was disconnected at the time you were making changes, which is why you have no trace of the draft in your account.
  • By page edits do you mean things like commenting on the page, adding labels, editing page restrictions etc.., in which case you will not see a new page version created in page history. I am assuming this is not what you did and you were meaning the content edits on the page.
  • Someone else was working on the same page around the same time and skipped publishing your edits.

I understand how tiring it could be when you loose your edits and have no clue how to recover, but unfortunately I think you lost your edits. Since you don't see any error or warning it is difficult to analyze what could have happened.

One last thing you can try is (if you remember the text you have added on Jan 2nd) - search for the text and see if your edits were saved in a different page or space accidentally.

Good Luck!

Sireesha

Jenny Lee January 10, 2019

That is unfortunate to hear that my edits seem to be permanently gone, and also unfortunate that I don't know what I can do to prevent it from happening again. To answer your question, you are correct in assuming I was editing the actual content of the document, and there should have been a full page of edits that were not saved. Thank you for your time.

0 votes
Sireesha Dugginapeddi [Appfire]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 8, 2019

Hi @Jenny Lee,

Confluence always autosaves (every few seconds if not longer) the edits you make to a page, be it a brand new page or an existing one before you hit Publish and lock your edits. If you know for sure you haven't saved the document and accidentally closed the tab, you should be able to:

• See this message the next time you edit the page - A version of this page you were editing at Jan 02, 2019 was saved as a draft. Do you want to view the change, resume editing or discard it?  This will help you find the changes you made.
  • See the draft document under "Recently Worked on" list of docs the moment you log into your account (if that is how your account landing page setup is). However, you can be directed to the same page when you click your profile icon to the top right corner of the page and select the Recently Worked On option from the list.
    If not this page, you will be able to see if you made changes to another page accidentally on 2nd Jan by looking at this list.
  • Also, you see a tiny highlighted text - UNPUBLISHED CHANGES on the top navigation path at the top of the page. 

OR if you saved the document, you can navigate to Page History by clicking the Ellipsis (...) to the top right of the page. 

It is strange that you are not able to recover this document from your account. And I am sure you must have tried various options. But, can you please try again with one of the options I mentioned or please refer to this page.

Hope you will be able to recover the page!

Thanks

Sireesha

Jenny Lee January 8, 2019

Hi @Sireesha Dugginapeddi [Appfire],

Those were the solutions I found doing my own search, and the work I did on the document does not show up in any of those places. It does not show up in Page History, or Recently worked on, or Drafts. It doesn't show any work I had done on January 2, even though I know I was working on the document and my colleague could confirm that she saw the document change as I was editing it.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events